1752643 Members
5485 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ISL for EVA 8000

Ann Yanak
Occasional Contributor

ISL for EVA 8000

I am deploying an EVA 8000 next week. The environment currently has an EVA 3000 that will stay. I need some information on deploying an ISL between the 2 fabrics. Is it possible to hook and ISL and if so, what do I need to know? Or, do I have 2 stand-alone fabrics? I am not that knowledgeable about ISL's. Thanks
1 REPLY 1
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: ISL for EVA 8000

Ann:

I am assuming that your new EVA8k has come with 2 new SAN Switches and that you want to connect them to your existing SAN Switches.

If this is the case, then you need to pre-configure the new switches so that they will merge with the existing fabric's.

On the old switches, the domain ID's might be set to "1" (on both) or perhaps "1" and "2" or maybe even something else. For minimal impact, these values should not change. You will need to change the new switches' Domain ID though. I would suggest the next number, but you can use anything up to 239. I have allso heard that perhaps you should stay away from "8", though I do not know the story behind the number.

If your existing switches for both fabrics is domainID 1, then you can make the new switches you need to add... 2.

If your old switches are different, like the fabric "A" switch is "1" and the fabric "B" switch 2, then I suggest you make the new fabric "A" switch 3 and the new fabric "B" switch 4... keeping the "A" fabric "odd" ID's and the "B" fabric "even" ID's.

To change the ID, you need to telnet into the switch, or use the web gui. Disable the switch, change the values (or run "configure" from telnet, and reboot the switch... BEFORE you attach an ISL. It would probably be best to clear any zoning configuration as well since you want to keep your existing zoning... and add to i later on once the new switches are in place.

On the other hand... IF you are talking about your 2 existing switches, then there is no reason to connect an ISL. As a matter of fact, you don't want to connect them together.

Let us know a bit more about the existing configuration and the new hardware your getting so that we can better suggest possible courses of action.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)