New Discussion юеВ

Re: Implementation of a replication method between MSA 2050 and MSA 1050

Romain1
Advisor

Implementation of a replication method between MSA 2050 and MSA 1050

Hello,

I have a video storage project.

For that, I have been provided with the following hardware :

• Proliant DL360 Gen9 Server (Windows 2016 Server with video application)
  • MSA 2050 (11 * 8TB)
  • MSA 1050 (10 * 8TB)

The hardware was purchased without full validation of the requirement.

Today, I have been asked a data replication between the MSA 2050 and the MSA 1050 (if possible realtime replication (synchronous)) but I confess I don't know much about these materials.

The goal would be to have a volume attached to the windows Server and replicate this volume.

My idea would be to have a RAID5+1 volume on the MSA 2050 replicated with a RAID5 volume on the MSA 1050.

About the cabling, currently :

• Port SAS 1 - controller A - MSA 1050 connected to HPE H241 Smart HBA card
  • Port SAS 1 - controller B - MSA 1050 connected to HPE H241 Smart HBA card
  • Cable SAS - controller A - MSA 1050 connected to PORT IN тАУ MSA 2050
  • Cable SAS - controller B - MSA 1050 connected to PORT IN тАУ MSA 2050

According to my research, it seems to have several methods of replication (snapshots,тАж) and I'm a bit lost. I confess that I don't know the hardware.

2 questions :

• What do you think would be the best replication method to implement ?
  • Is the cabling I made good ?

Thank you very much for your advice !

Best regards,

15 REPLIES 15

@Romain1 

After going through your details I would like to inform you two things,

>> Synchronous Replication not supported with MSA

>> SAS interface not supported for replication

You need to work with your solution. Better to start with going through product quick spec, MSA Remote Snap Software whitepaper, best practices whitepaper.

Quickspec

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00008276enw

MSA Remote Snap Software whitepaper

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA1-0977ENW.pdf

Best practices whitepaper

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/A00015961ENW.pdf?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

You have a couple of misconceptions about working with replication on the MSA. Let me clarify a couple of key points.

First the MSA does not perform syncronous replication. I still think the MSA would be a good fit for your project but you will have to design in a replication schedule that will best work for you. I will give you some links to documents for further information.

You should also be aware that the MSA SAS arrays do not support replication. While you have not stated specifically you are using SAS arrays your configuraiton outline suggests these are both SAS arrays. It is also unsupported to directly cable to MSA arrays together as you have outlined for replication. 

Since this project sounds like you are going to want to replicate video files, I would suggest a more robust RAID volume. I would go for a RAID6 configuration with spares made available. The MSA actually performs quite well with video file transfers so you do not need to worry about the performance difference between a RAID5 and RAID6 disk-group. You will want to protect that data by using the redundancy of RAID6 with spares.

Now if you are truly using SAS arrays you will need to consider a host side scheme for redundancy. Depending on your OS there are several options.

For further information I suggest reviewing the following documents.

HPE MSA SMU Guide: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00017707en_us

HPE MSA 1050/2050 Best Practices: https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/Getdocument.aspx?docname=a00015961enw

If you wish to check your firmware on your system you can now do so easily by checking this link: www.hpe.com/storage/msafirmware

Also, to check the overall health of your system and any available firmware versions you can use our new MSA Health Check Tool at the following link: www.hpe.com/storage/MSAHealthCheck

Download your MSA Log File from your MSA array
Upload the MSA Log File into the MSA Health Check website
Review the results by clicking through the tabs and saving the PDF report
Links to array, enclosure, and drive firmware are provided for easy acces

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Romain1
Advisor

Hello,

Thank you very much for your explanations !

Yes, IтАЩm confirming that the both hosts are SAS type with SAS MDL disks. So, the initial project isnтАЩt possible. No replication is possible with SAS hosts ?! I understand my confusion better !

We'll see about setting up a backup system at night. We agree that the MSA does not incorporate a backup system/method ?

In this case, we study 2 solutions :

• The creation of a disk pool with all disks (MSA 1050/MSA 2050) and a volume (RAID 5 or 6 with spares). The backup solution will be an external tool.
  • The creation of 2 disk pools with and 2 volumes (RAID 5 or 6 with spares). The first volume will be data and the second volume will be backup. In this case, is it advisable to create a disk pool A and B with a volume on each disk pool (leverages both controllers) ?

About the MSA cabling, do you think that it's correct ? I'm a little confused about this.

Thanks a lot for your help !

@Romain1 

1st of all you can't connect MSA 2050 and MSA 1050 with SAS interface and use it as a single unit. You need to use both systems individually.

Answering to your solution,

• The creation of a disk pool with all disks (MSA 1050/MSA 2050) and a volume (RAID 5 or 6 with spares). The backup solution will be an external tool.

Ans: You can opt this but you need to use MSA 1050 and MSA 2050 as individual unit. You can use single system also as per your requirement but another system will be ideal in that case and no use of it.

• The creation of 2 disk pools with and 2 volumes (RAID 5 or 6 with spares). The first volume will be data and the second volume will be backup. In this case, is it advisable to create a disk pool A and B with a volume on each disk pool (leverages both controllers) ?

Ans: Same system production and backup not a good idea because of single point of failure but it's possible. Again same logic either you use both system individually or you can use single system then another system will be of no use as of now.

Possible options that I can think of,

>> Use MSA 2050 for production and MSA 1050 as backup but you need to check if you can implement replication at the Host operating System level instead of MSA block level

>> You can check with your re-seller and try to replace your SAS controllers with FC or ISCSI controller for both MSA 2050 and MSA 1050. Also you can try for FC/iSCSI combo controllers for both systems. In order to get all details you can check below technical paper.

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00015116enw

Then you can configure Asynchronous remote copy setup

>> Use MSA 2050 and MSA 1050 both as production and you need to find separate backup solution.

>> You can also use MSA 2050 as production and MSA 1050 as backup but you need to manually copy data from one array to another array through Host systems file system level like data copy from one folder to another folder.

You can also involve Solution Consultant or Architect who can guide you in a better way.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Romain1
Advisor

Hello,

Sorry for the late response, I needed to think about.

You indicated :

1st of all you can't connect MSA 2050 and MSA 1050 with SAS interface and use it as a single unit. You need to use both systems individually

I donтАЩt understand what you're saying because I tried to create a new disk group (Pools tabs in MSA 1050 SAS console) with all disks (MSA 1050/MSA 2050) and itтАЩs working properly. Looks like it's ok. I can select the disk with ID enclosure 1 and 2.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm lost with this information.

Can you explain it to me?

Thank you,

Best regards,

@Romain1 

As per my understanding discussion started with two systems as per this statement "Implementation of a replication method between MSA 2050 and MSA 1050" -> This means MSA 2050 one controller enclosure and MSA 1050 one controler enclosure. When you said you want to do replication which means you meant by froent end SAS port only. So accordingly I tried to indicate SAS front end connectivity between MSA 2050 and MSA 1050 which is not possible.

Now as you have mentioned you have connected MSA 2050 and MSA 1050 together which means you have connected in SAS backend and not front end. Moreover both you have connected because one of them Controller enclosure and another one drive enclosure. My guess MSA 1050 controller enclosure and MSA 2050 drive enclosure.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Romain1
Advisor

Yes, exactly. MSA 1050 controller enclosure and MSA 2050 drive enclosure.

IтАЩm so sorry, for this confusion. I wish I could have posted a photo to clarify the situation.

Currently, the cabling is (connection at the back-end of the enclosures) :

Is that understandable to you ?

If yes, to clarify the situation : 

• There is no method of replication in this configuration ?

If yes, I have to think about finding an alternative with the above ideas :

1. creation of a disk pool with all disks (MSA 1050/MSA 2050) and a volume (RAID 5 or 6 with spares). The backup solution will be an external tool.
  2. creation of 2 disk pools with and 2 volumes (RAID 5 or 6 with spares). The first volume will be data and the second volume will be backup. In this case, is it advisable to create a disk pool A and B with a volume on each disk pool (leverages both controllers) ?

• Does this cabling look ok to you ?

Thank you,

Best regards

Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

Your configuration is NOT supported!

Currently, the cabling is (connection at the back-end of the enclosures) :

You cannot connect two arrays in this manner. Please consider what you are attempting. The MSA1050 controller is connected as a JBOD. If you connect to the MSA1050 and create a volume and create a volume from the MSA2050 - who then has control? You will cause an overlap on the drives that will lead to data integrity issues. There is no array - MSA, 3PAR, EVA, etc. that supports this type of a configuration. Please do not use this configuration for your systems. If you have data on the system - you need to perform an immediate backup.

As you have the systems configured you cannot perform replication. As discussed previously, you have MSA SAS arrays. We do not support replication on the SAS arrays. 

The MSA2050 and MSA1050 should be used as seperate arrays. Cabling them together to try and extend your storage is not supported and will lead to issues. Please review the correct cabling guides.

MSA2050 Cabling Guide: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00017716en_us

MSA1050 Cabling Guide: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00027958en_us

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Romain1
Advisor

Hello,

I already read the MSA1050 Cabling Guide.

I thought that my cabling was correct but I was wrong. Nevertheless, page 8 is the cabling that I've done. I think there's been a mix-up from the beginning.

I suppose, like the MSA 2050 is just a MSA 2050 disk enclosure and no a MSA 2050 array controller, my question was confusing. should have tried to explain it better from the start...

Below, a photo of the cabling :

000.jpg

On this picture :

1. Server with HPE H241 Smart HBA card
  2. MSA 1050
  3. MSA 2050

If my cabing is not correct, can you explain why ?

Thanks,

Best regards,