1752806 Members
5899 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is there a limit to CA groups?

joker_morgan
Occasional Contributor

Is there a limit to CA groups?

I am looking at setting up storage for an Exchagne 2007 implementation and the mail admin would like 50 to 100 luns. With each lun being in its own CA group based on some Microsoft white papers. Is there a limit to the number of CA groups and if there is not, can I expect to see a performance issue when I have too many CA groups. I will be going from a 4gig 8000 to a 2gig 8000. I do not have info right now on rate of change but I imagine that would affect this as well.

thanks,
4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Last time I checked, the limit was 128 Data Replication Groups in such a configuration.
joker_morgan
Occasional Contributor

thanks for the reply..I am still looking to see what kind of performance hit having the maximum number of groups would end up being.
CA1004210
Frequent Advisor

Uwe, correct me if I am wrong but I vaguelly recall that the limit was 16 DR groups with a maximum of 8 Vdisks per DR group. This gave a maximum of 128 Vdisks for CA replication. This (If I am not mistaken) was the case with EVA5K with VCS 3.028. I understand that these restrictions vary based on the EVA model and VCS/XCS firmware revisions.

Keith, by the way could you please share the Microsoft white papaers on CA setup for Exchange.

Thanks,
Saket.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I guess that "4gig 8000 to a 2gig 8000" refers to EVA 8000 systems. Anyway, let's take a look into the SAN Design Guide - attached is a screenshot from page 173 of document AA-RW86K-TE dated: February 26, 2007.