1753513 Members
5069 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Just upgraded all disks, can’t expand volume MSA 1040

Brad_I

Just upgraded all disks, can’t expand volume MSA 1040

Hello,

I have an MSA 1040 running RAID6 configuration.  Have two 12 disk volumes using 300GB SAS drives. .  On one of the volumes, I replaced all 12 of its drives one at a time with 1.2 TB drives allowing them to rebuild each time.  After completing the 12th drive and letting it rebuild, I see no way to expand that volume or create another with the slack space.  

In the configuration it is showing all that additional space ~14TB is now "reserved." 

An additional finding is when I do choose "Modify Disk Group" and then pick that volume.  Then I put a check mark in the Expand? Box, it says 11.9TB is available and will result in Total Space of 14.4TB.  But the Modify button remains grayed out. 

What can I do to reclaim this space and expand the volume or create another volume?  Thank you.  

1 REPLY 1
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Re: Just upgraded all disks, can’t expand volume MSA 1040

Hello,

When you add a drive into the Vdisk one at a time like you did the vdisk metadata is configured for a drive of 300GB size as a maxium size. So each 1.2 TB dirve is configured to only allow a maxium of 300GB of space. There is no way to "expand" the size due to the metadata already on the vdisk. Your best option is to backup the data, delete the vdisk, and then recreate the vdisk and restore your data.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo