1752542 Members
5437 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MDS600 migration

ProteinISU
Occasional Visitor

MDS600 migration

I want to upgrade my DL380 E5 from RHEL5.4 to CentOS.  I have an MDS600 attached to it now.  Is it possible to upgrade without losing any data on the MDS600?

2 REPLIES 2
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

If both OS uses same filesystem (EXT2/3 or XFS) then there should not be any problem,

You should unmount the volumes and disconnect the MDS from the server, and attach and remount after installing Centos.

However, its suggested to keep data backup before this activity.

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

The MDS 600 went End of Support on February 2014. So this is a very old system where HPE may no longer have parts or Hard Drives available for this system if needed.

If you check with HPE SPOCK (https://h20272.www2.hpe.com/spock/) you will find RHEL5 is supported, but HPE never tested nor qualified CentOS with the MDS600. The other concern you should have is whether the Smart Array you have installed on the server supports that OS. I suspect it probably does not. I would be very concerned to upgrade to an OS that has never been tested or verified. You might or might not be able to see the data. 

The bigger point is you would be in an unsupported confirguration. HPE cannot provide support towards helping you in a data recovery support call or make suggestions towards this configuration.

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo