1753797 Members
7242 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 1000, HA kit and SQL

Debra H
Advisor

Ok. I will try to find it. The SAN kit came with a flyer. We installed everything at the saem time. The kit and the HA kit. Does it matter which ports on the switch the HBAs are plugged into?
BR894765
Valued Contributor

Debra, do you solved your problem?
Debra H
Advisor

No. My problem has not been solved. We have done the following:

1-23-06 - reseated controller cards. Moved HBAs to slots with same bus speed.
1-29-06 - 1. swapped controllers - didn't seem to make a difference.
2. hard set ports on the switches to 2 GB rather than autonegotiate.
3. Switched fiber cables connecting server A to switch A.
4. Swapped Server B fiber cables. Boot both servers to see which HBA connected first.
5. Removed any SanSurfer Express and SanSurfer Pro software.

This morning I came in and it flipped to the redundant controller last night. I am at my wits end with this.
Debra H
Advisor

I downgraded the MPIO driver per HP tech instructions from 1.5 to 1.1.
Now we are getting several more messages (at least 50)- see below. Both controllers continuously go from active to standby. This is getting ridiculous!!!! Would it make sense for me to undo the Multipath and all the redundancy?

Event Name: External Array Controller Status Change (16020) Event originator: synappdb Event Severity: Critical Event received: 31-Jan-2006, 21:42:34

Event description: External Array Controller Status Change. This trap signifies that the agent has detected a change in the status of a External Array Controller. The variable cpqFcaCntlrStatus indicates the current controller status. User Action: If the controller status is offline(4), access to the storage box has been lost. Check the storage box and all fibre channel connections for problems.

Chassis Name: SGM053801D
Controller Slot Number: 1
Controller Status: offline
Array Controller Model: msa1000
Controller Serial Number: P56350HX3S60H6
Accelerator Total Memory (MB): 512
BR894765
Valued Contributor

Can you draw your cabling diagram and attach it to post?
Debra H
Advisor

Sorry so late. We were trying to bring boths servers back up and donwgrade the MPIO drivers back to the originals off the CD - 1.5. Please excuse the cryptic diagram.

Sorry first document sent was too large.
BR894765
Valued Contributor

Debra, sorry for delay:(

Very strange, the cabling is correct.
What you mean by MPIO 1.5?
As I know, latest MSA MPIO is 1.1.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=421495&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=421492&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005

Looks like with hight load, drivers got the timeouts and MPIO tries to change path. Try to update Q200 drivers from MSA1000 SMB Support Software CD
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=439551&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=440223&submit.y=5&submit.x=9тМй=en&cc=us
May be it is possible to change timeouts for drivers but I'm not familiar with Q200...
Debra H
Advisor

We experimented with turning off the redundant switch which effectively disconnects the redundant HBA cards. We then connected both controllers to one switch. It has been running fine for the last 2 days. I am going to swap the switches to see if this also produces the same result. The swap the HBA cards. I am trying to figure out which piece of hardware is causing this problem. I did not remove the MPIO drivers because the cards were still attached.