1753556 Members
5728 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 1000 SAN and Secure Path

(MFUK) Andrew Smith

MSA 1000 SAN and Secure Path

Hi

A bit of a beginner when it comes to this, so apologies in advance.

We have a MSA100 SAN running with redundant SAN Switches and Controllers. Attached to the SAN are 3 DL585's with 2 Fibre Adapters in each of the 3 servers.

During fail over testing on only one of the servers, when one of the the fibre connection in Slot 1 is removed, the SAN resources are lost and the cluster service terminates.

Essentially, as long as the fibre connection in Slot 1 is connected, the server can access the SAN resources - Port 2 does not seem to be in use \ connected to the SAN although the port does show as active on the switch and on the card in the server.

We are thinking that the problem may be that this server has not been correctly configured in Secure Path and is not "Load Balanced", in that if Port 1 is disconnected, Port 2 does not kick in.

The actual HBA is another possibility, but it seems to be working correctly, as there there are no errors reported on it in the ADU.

From what I have found so far, the load balancing feature seems to be disabled by default in Secure Path but my question is, is the Load Balancing referred to in the Secure Path documentation, the equivalent of teaming?

Any advice appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
James Muell
Valued Contributor

OK Did you install and configure Secure Path Manager for the cluster? If not do so.
What version of SP are you using?
Its assumed that you have used SSP in the ACU to assign the cluster luns to all the HBAs of the cluster nodes.
I am assuming you have a 3 node cluster running here correct?
In SPMgr you have to specifically create a profile for the cluster.
(MFUK) Andrew Smith

Thanks for the reply James.

I have been checking this this morning and have found that the SPMGR utility is not available on the 3rd (problematic) node in the cluster.

All other nodes are working fine.

I am installing SP onto the third node, but the SPMGR folder and utility is not being installed. At the moment I am just checking to make sure that I am using the same media used on the other server and will then ensure that SP is correctly installed.

Cheers

Andrew
(MFUK) Andrew Smith

Hi James

I installed Secure Path (previously Secure Path Manager had been installed not SC), rebooted the DB node twice and it came up like a dream - thanks for the help.

Cheers

Andrew