cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSA 1000, Windows Cluster And Linux

g. gargiulo
Occasional Visitor

MSA 1000, Windows Cluster And Linux

Hi, i have two asks. I don't know much about SAN and particulary about MSA 1000.
1) I'd understand how 2 Windows Server 2003 configured in Cluster Mode can have contemporary access to LUN on MSA 1000. Actually only a server can access to LUN and other server can access to some LUN if previus server go down. But so the balanced feature of cluster doesn't run and when i configure IIS (iis is clusterized) on secondary server i must shutdown primary server.
2) i have need to connect one or more linux machine to MSA 1000 booth already exsisting Windows Server 2003. It's possible?

thank a lot for your help.
5 REPLIES 5
James Muell
Valued Contributor

Re: MSA 1000, Windows Cluster And Linux

Gianluca, Are you trying to cluster IIS? On an existing cluster? Is it already running a cluster application?
As to your 2nd question, you can but running Windows and Linux on the same MSA can be problematic. Does you MSA1000 have 2 controllers and 2 switch Modules? What firmware are you running on the MSA?
jmm
g. gargiulo
Occasional Visitor

1° RE: I have found this situation. 2 DL380 are connected to MSA1000's LUN by FC. On DL380 Windows Server 2003 is configured to run MS Cluster to clusterized IIS. On secondary node IIS is not configurable becouse while firt node is up on LUN the second doesn't attach to some LUN. To change IIS configuration (Application Pool, etc) on both node i must configure first node, shutdown it and configure second node, then start the first node.

2° RE: the FW ver. is 4.48.b342. The components of my SAN are:
+ HP MSA1000 Small Business SAN KIT
+ HP Q200 Fibre Channel HBA
+ Cable Fibre Channel Multi-Mode LC/LC 5m
+ HDs
+ 2GB SFP-SW Transceiver Kit

James Muell
Valued Contributor

I read the HP discription of the HP MSA1000 Small Business SAN KIT. I appears to come with a single controller and FC-switch.
I am assuming you only have 1 HBA in each server.
pls try this:
On the Node 1 with the cluster up - including Node 2, Open the Array Configuration Utility and select(on the right side) SSP (Selective Storage Presentation). You should see both HBAs World Wide Name addresses. You will need to configure these connections by selecting 'Windows' as the OS, Use the server Name as the description.
To the right of this info you should see any and all luns you have created. Example: 1 for the cluster quorum, 1 for data.
Check the boxes under all the luns for both cluster servers. Save this config and exit.
Test failing over the cluster from N1 to N2. If this makes the lun available to the 2nd node you should be able to config IIS per instructions.
g. gargiulo
Occasional Visitor

Opening ACU i view 4 LUN created. One of these is the Quorum.
Selecting MSA Controller and SSP on the right only appers "SSP Controller Status" selected on Enabled.
If i select one of LUN, for ex. Quorum, and "more info" i view 2 Access Host controller:

210000e08b8577ac (Srv-Pippo N1)
210000e08b85f0ad (Srv-Pippo N2)

but this LUN is inaccesible by Node 2

----------------

My HW Conf. is compliant to work both Windows and Linux, or i need of secondary controller?

----------------

I have 14 bais. If i buy new disks and insert into MSA1000 from bay 8 it implicit using another controller channel??

----------------

Thank you for your help!!!
James Muell
Valued Contributor

ok, making progress SSP is enabled = good
If all 4 luns are supposed to belong to the cluster, The check boxes in SSP for each of them should be checked for bot N1 and N2.
--If you have more than 1 lun in the cluster they should have appeared in different cluster groups.
--Compliant? For clustering your pushing it. To put 2 clusters 1-Win and 1-Lnx hummmm?
--Do you have a 2/8 switch module in the back of the MSA1000?
--14 bays ...ordinarily you should see all 14 slots. THe only reason you would not is because you are using a Dual channel disk shelf. These require 2 scsi cable connections.