MSA Storage
1753481 Members
4116 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 1000 and zoning and selective storage questions

CA1367717

MSA 1000 and zoning and selective storage questions

We are going to zone our fabric switches tonight. We have two 2/16 switches, MSA1000 with two controllers, MSA1500 with two controllers, MDR for our backup server, various Netware and NT servers. We have 2 HBA's in each server.
I know we need to create zones for the NT, Netware and MDR devices. Do we need to create zones for the controllers also? Once we complete the config how do we get the selective storage to config on the backup controller so we can see it in the ACU?
Am I missing anything in this config?
By the way...Steve you have been a huge part of our success.
Thanks.
Joe
3 REPLIES 3
Jim Staszko
Occasional Contributor

Joe,

Not sure if you've already gone through this or not.

We use brocade switches with soft zoning.

You'll need Zones for Each server to Each controller on Each switch. I am assuming you're going to setup a HA, dual fabic setup with two controllers, switches, and hba in each host. So on Switch A you'll need Zones from Controller A to HBA A in each host. On Switch B you'll need Zones from Controller B to HBA B in each host. I am not sure if you'll need a zone from MSA1000 Controller to MSA1500 Controller. I would guess not. Once the zones are created the wwn's should show up in the ACU for selective storage.

Good Luck.
Jim
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> I am not sure if you'll need a zone from MSA1000 Controller to MSA1500 Controller.

No, you don't need to.
Both controllers are SCSI targets and do not talk to each other. However, I would make sure that the MDR (NSR?) is not in the same zone as an MSA controller, because the more modern NSRs also act as SCSI initiators and will attempt to talk to the MSAs.
joe Kool

We completed our zoning and everything is working well now after tweaking Secure Path.

I have a new issue with backups. Since all the zoning has been done our backups run very...very slow. Not sure if this has anything to do with zoning or not. We are using Vertas BAckup Exec 10 for Windows. Our server connects to our Overland Powerloader via an MDR that is attached to the fabric switch. We backup to disk on the SANs. We went from 600mb per minute to 15mb per minute and I can't figure out what caused this.
Anyone have a guess?
Thanks.
Joe