MSA Storage
1751932 Members
4807 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 1050 - Unable to add new, larger disk as Global spare.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave65
Occasional Contributor

MSA 1050 - Unable to add new, larger disk as Global spare.

I have a MSA 1050 with 6 psc of 1.0TB MDL disks (model: MM1000JEFRB) grouped in Disk Group with RAID6. One of them is reporting some read related errors:

Event:

An error was reported by a disk drive. (disk: channel: 0, ID: 3, SN: W47162GA0000E8152GTQ, enclosure: 1, slot: 4) (Key,Code,Qual,UEC:0x3,0x11,0x0,0x0000) (CDB:Rd 070dbe20 01e0)(Info:0x070DBE20)(CmdSpc:0x1025500, FRU:0x85, SnsKeySpc:0xDB)(Medium Error, unrecovered read error)

I decided to replace defective disk with new one. But unfortunetly model MM1000JEFRB isn't now currently avaliable. After the consultation with our HP distributor, we decided to buy new disk with a slightly larger capacity (1.2 TB) model EG001200JWJNK.

Unfortunatley it seems that I can't extedn existing Disk Group nor use new disk as a spare. When I'm trying to add new drive as a Global Spare, I see an error:

Unable to change the global spares.
The disk cannot be used as a spare. (1.7) - There are no disk groups that currently use this type of disk. (2021-02-04 15:14:33)
Command failed. (2021-02-04 15:14:33)

Please give me a hint what to do in this situation?

6 REPLIES 6
Solution

@Dave65 

Drive model MM1000JEFRB is MDL SAS with 7.2K RPM speed drive and EG001200JWJNK is SAS with 10K RPM drive. Both are different type of disks so technically you can't use SAS drive in place of MDL SAS

You talk to your reseller and get a proper MDL SAS drive as replacement. HPE Spare part number: 787652-001

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Dave65
Occasional Contributor

Subhajit, thank you for the response.
So, there is no chance to use that kind of drive as a spare...

What do you think about error that is reporting for old disk? Whether this error is significant, is there anything to worry about?

Event:

An error was reported by a disk drive. (disk: channel: 0, ID: 3, SN: W47162GA0000E8152GTQ, enclosure: 1, slot: 4) (Key,Code,Qual,UEC:0x3,0x11,0x0,0x0000) (CDB:Rd 070dbe20 01e0)(Info:0x070DBE20)(CmdSpc:0x1025500, FRU:0x85, SnsKeySpc:0xDB)(Medium Error, unrecovered read error)

Regards,

Dave

@Dave65 

You did right that you think to replace the drive because it shows Medium error which is hard errors which can't be ignored. You should check same for all drives part of same vdisk or VDG as well. If multiple drives started giving medium error then your data is in risk. So when you have multiple drives giving hard errors then single drive replacement will not help because reconstruction may not get completed. That time approach will be different. If you have single drive within the vdisk or VDG having hard error then you can go for replacement.

Note: I am assuming your vdisk or VDG configured with some RAID where 1 drive fail allow only. Accordingly to that I gave the explanation. Otherwise with RAID configured situation will be different.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hi Dave,

As mentioned by Subhajit, Drive model MM1000JEFRB needs to be replaced  with type MDL SAS drive  7.2K RPM.  Closest match that I could find has the part number listed below:

J9F51A - 787653-001- 2TB MSA dual-port SAS hard drive - 12 Gb/s interface, 7,200 RPM, 2.5-inch small form factor (SFF)

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hi Dave,

Please let us know whether the information shared has helped.

I am an HPE employee

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Dave65
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I confirm that the purchased drive with the designation:
Spare Part# 787652-001 Model# MM1000JEFRB
works fine with MSA 1050. Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Dave