1752509 Members
4909 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 1500

klaus schweinberger

MSA 1500

we do run a MSA 1500 dual controller and dual brocade fibre switches. we have two SCSI enclosures and a SATA enclosure in our setup. recently we suffered from a few failovers without any obvious reason. a few days ago we had a total crash after the firmware in the entire infrastructure was upgraded by a HP technician. status quo: we had to disconnect the SATA enclosure to bring the SCSI part back on stage. how can we make sure what the cause of the situation might be and how to solve the problem ?
5 REPLIES 5
CA1074530
Advisor

Klaus, what was the nature of the "Total crash" I have two MSA1500's with SATA enclosures and have been experiencing some sever failures on both. These have been apparent lockups of the MSA20 enclosures which have caused LUN's to go off-line. I do not have any MSA30's attached. I am interested in finding out if there is a common problem with the 1500's as I can not tolerate failures of this nature.

Dean.
CA1063111
Advisor

Hallo,
the MSA15000 works fine with SCSI MSA30 - but with MSA20 Encluser there are Problems.
Make sure the you use the newest Firmware from 9.9.05 on "http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?taskID=135&pnameOID=415600&prodTypeId=12169&locale=en_US〈=English+%28US%29&prodSeriesId=415598&swEnvOID=1005"
klaus schweinberger

hi dean, thank your for your quick response.
first of all: i am new to SAN's so please apologize my poor level. the story: we started early this year with two controllers, two fibre switches, two MSA30 and one MSA20. as we had spots with poor performance and downtime after a controller update HP told us that there are issues with the MSA20 and we disconnected the SATA enclosure. a few months ago a new firmware was loaded and the MSA20 SATA enclosure was reconnected to the infrastructure. it seemed to work but we experienced failovers and intermittent performance lacks (i guess we had disconnected LUN's as well) as the situation got worse HP decided to upgrade the firmware in all devices including HBA's. the result was more than 10 hours downtime, maybe a scratched SATA array(!) lost and corrupted files. status: we are currently up with the two MSA30 only. in my opinion the might be a hardware issue as well but our local implementation partner and HP seem to search for the real cause as well. despite our service contract we do suffer severe from our troubles with our MSA.
CA1074530
Advisor

Yes I believe there have/are problems with the MSA20's. Try the most recent f/w for the 1500 (4.94) with the 1.38 for the MSA20's. I have loaded that on one of my 1500's. The notes state that they address some issues with the 20's that sound similar to those we have experienced.

Otherwise I suggest you keep the call open with HP and raise it with your salespeople. That is what I have done. I requested the other day that they provide me with an alternate H/W Solution, though I have not had a solution presented yet.

Dean