Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSA 20 - performance on 1510i vs direct attached

BR920461
Occasional Visitor

MSA 20 - performance on 1510i vs direct attached

Hi

I got a MSA 20 to attach to my MSA 1510i a couple of weeks ago, and have been playing around with it because I got som dissapointing results on the performance. I would like to know if others are seeing the same results.

Using 11 500G disks in raid 5 (+ on hot-spare) I get around 48 MB/sec write performance - tested using IOmeter, continous write with 32KB blocks. Direct attached to a SA 642 I get around 88.

Read performance and random IO performance also differs, but not to the same amount.

Are other people seeing something similar? Is the controllers in the 1510i (and 1500cs?) really that much slower than a SA 642?

Regards,

Kaj
1 REPLY 1
BR920461
Occasional Visitor

Re: MSA 20 - performance on 1510i vs direct attached

Hi again

I should add that I don't think that it's the iSCSI part that makes for the lower performance. I have a MSA 30 attached, and get higher write performance on that with only 6 disks in RAID10 - and I'm sure that I could improve that by adding disks.

A consultant I asked, tells me that the controller in the MSA15xx is build on the same controller as the SA640x. It seems that all the people in these forums that experience low performance on the MSA 20 is using eighter MSA1500 or SA6400 controllers.

Is the problem that the current firmware for MSA1500 and SA6400 controllers have a problem with the MSA 20?

And that thus the SA642 is at the moment a better controller combined with the MSA 20.

Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Regards,

Kaj