cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSA 2000 G3 FC Expansion

Kent-C
Occasional Visitor

MSA 2000 G3 FC Expansion

I have a MSA2000 with two drive enclosures. The second enclosure had 9 2TB 7k drives configured in a RAID50 array for 12 TB of usable storage. I just added three additional 2TB drives and ran the command to expand the RAID 50 Vdisk. It has been nearly four days and the expansion is only at 3% complete. Also, when I look at the overview/disks it shows the disk set at 24 TB with 24 TB overhead.

Seems to me that in times past the new space would show up and the usable space versus overhead would list correctly even before the expansion is complete. Is this normal?

4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA 2000 G3 FC Expansion

Hi, yes this is normal for the MSA2000 series.
It's 15GB / hour.

See here for some more details:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Storage-Area-Networks-SAN/MSA-2000fc-upgradation/td-p/4789779
Kent-C
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the info and the link. Good to know for further storge deployments. Unfortunately, at this rate it will take about 100 days to complete the re-striping process with no way to back out. Luckily I had also added drives to enclosure1 and created a new vdisk rather than expanding the original, so I have room to keep my project moving forward.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Some kind of warning message if the vdisk is too large would be a nice feature. 100 days is insane.

John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

If this is a P2000 G3, updating the FW to TS230 will significately speed up the expansion.