4699 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 2012fc failing

clever4-cp
Occasional Advisor

MSA 2012fc failing

Hi,

I have a MSA2012fc which seems to fail every evening when the nightly backups are taken from it.

I have upgraded the firmware to the latest, which ran succesfully and updated controller A and then B (after about 30 mins). This didn't resolve it.

I then removed controller A and moved the vdisk owner to controller B, so there is only one controller attached to the MSA. This also hasn't resolved it.

What else could be at fault here? Please confirm the firmware as the link I was given was for a MSA2000, but didn't complain.

Attached is the logs from the MSA.

Kind regards

Chris

9 REPLIES 9
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey, as far as I can see it fails a little while after the scrub vdisk started. 

When the disks were created, were they accessible while the RAID was initialized? There's been some issues with caused by that.

clever4-cp
Occasional Advisor

YEs, everything was accessible when the RAID was rebuilding after the failed HDD was inserted and added as a global spare (which automatically added it into the RAID set).

But as far as the data, the host server was certainly serving it and all users were able to continue working as normal.

Would you think this is more likely a hardware issue?

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

No, I meant whent he RAID was first created. Were hosts accessing data then?

Have you run an integrity check on the file system? Like a fsck? If during the vdisk scrub something goes so bad that the controller stops/reboots, I'd definitely be worried.

There's nothing obvious in the controller log (as far as I could tell) that reports a problem. But the PCIe stuff .. I cannot say anyway what specifically is causing it.

clever4-cp
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

The RAID was created in 2008, and at the time nothing was accessing it and nothing was connected to it. I simply used the web admin to create the vdisk and setup the RAID.

It's only the last couple of weeks when the MSA has started failing, and becoming unresponsive, hence why I think it's more hardware that's failing.

Could anything be re-initialised, even if the RAID is recreated, vdisk removed, etc and then we can copy the data back on?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Your log shows problems with disks 9,10,11 in enclosure 0 and also old disk firmware in use. Most likely the scrubbing fails due to bad disks.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
clever4-cp
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

that wouldn't surprise me, with the disks being 3 years old and due to the recent issues having to power off unsafely the MSA each time it crashes.

I'll try new disks and report back.

Thanks for the info

Chris

clever4-cp
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

It failed again moments ago as this was the error at the time:

B561478  2011-10-13 15:19:41   107  C  B  Critical Error: Fault Type: Debug Except., Dbg Reg Num = 1  p1: 01EBE5D  p2:01EBCDB p3: 01EBC18  p4:01EB9BB   CThr:  MScrub 00

Is there anyway to disable the scrub until I have installed new drives?

Thanks

Chris

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

see CLI command:

Syntax set job-parameters
[background-scrub enabled|disabled|on|off]
[partner-firmware-upgrade enabled|disabled|on|off]
[utility-priority low|medium|high]

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
clever4-cp
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, I went into the GUI and found the background scrub. We'll see if this helps until the drives are replaced! Typical, all stockists are out of stock for a couple of weeks of the HDDs I need :(