5853 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 2040 CLI cannot connect

GHI
Occasional Visitor

MSA 2040 CLI cannot connect

Hello,

We have a problem with our MSA 2040 cabin. The device itself it's working, but we haven't been able to connect via http for a while, so I'm trying to use the USB cable, but it's a nightmare.

First, there are only drivers for windows servers and they don't work on virtualized systems. So we had to find a non-virtual Windows 2012 R2 Server. I installed the drivers and reboot (just in case). But when I connect the cable the device is no recognized. I get a "unknown USB device". Windows seems to have a problem getting the device descriptor.

I understand thar the cable is a normal USB to mini-USB cable, so a standard one should work.

Any idea about how to workaround this problem and get to connect the MSA 2040?

Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12

Please check this link,

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03820027

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

If you have downloaded the driver and followed the steps in the document Subahjit provided, you might also want to check that you are accessing the correct COM port on the server/host.

First check and confirm if using a VM that the COM ports are enabled and active. On the server, go into Device Manager and look under Ports. Typically there will be several COM ports. I find that COM1 can sometimes be flakey when used as a USB connection. Try moving the USB cable to a different COM port if there is one available. Then make sure you are using the correct COM port to access the array. Also check and confirm the COM port settings are correct. By default the COM port settings usually are a Baud rate of 8200. For the MSA use the following:

Baud rate 115200

Data bits 8

Parity None

Stop bits 1

Flow control None

You should also confirm if using a VM that the COM ports are enabled and active.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

GHI
Occasional Visitor

Thanks a lot, but I've already read that document I followed it.

I've tried with 3 different cables and 2 differente computers, one with 2012 R2 Server, no virtualized, and one XP professional laptop. The same result.

I've end up thinking that the only way is unplugging both controllers. First, shutdown all hosts that use the disks, wait for some minutes to let the buffers flush, and unplug it, after crossing my fingers, as I know no other way to reset it.

GHI
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

I cannot use any COM, because the system, both, detects an unkown device, and no com ports are added. I've already tried with two different computers and two different operating systems, and three different cables. Always the same result.

I don't understand why it doesn't reply in any IP address.

Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

Do you have the MSA USB driver correctly installed on all the computers you are connecting? If there is no COM port active then you will not be able to use the serial cable to talk to the controller. I would look at fixing this before trying a random reboot of the controllers.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Netwealth
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Was this issue ever resolved? We have the exact same issue, SAN is not pingable and cannot access both controller via the cli ports. Have tried 2 different driver versions (1.0.4.11 & 1.0.5.17) and multiple Windows OS versions (2012R2, 2016 & 10) as soon as you plug the cable in Windows complains that the device has malfunctioned and in Device Manager it comes up as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)". Trying to manually update the driver on this also fails. 

Looking likely that we will need to do a forced reboot on the controllers which is not ideal 

If you are trying to ping MSA controller then that should be related to management port but you have mentioned USB driver update fail. Are you trying to connect CLI port ?

I would suggest to follow the below link,

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03820027

Also did you tried to remove  LAN cable from management port of any of the controller and then take a separate LAN cable to connect management port of any controller directly to Laptop and then tried to ping it ?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Netwealth
Occasional Visitor

Hi Subhajit,

Thanks for the reply. We have tried all those troubleshooting steps and the management interface/cli is still unavailable. 

Is production up ?

It seems MSA management controller not able to talk to Storage Controller. If you are unable to access Controllers through any interface then there is no other option but to restart Storage Controllers.

For production setup I would suggest to take valid data backup and try restarting controllers.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo