2806 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HRe: MSA 2040 Drive Degraded and Fault

PeterX
Occasional Visitor

MSA 2040 Drive Degraded and Fault

Hi,

I was wondering if someone can give me some advice on how to troubleshoot this issue I'm having with my HP MSA 2040 unit. I see that in the Pool tab that A and B Health status is Degraded and my cache1 and cache2 in the Related Health Group status is on Fault.

I went to look at the unit itself and on Bay 1.01 and 1.02, the indicator light is solid Amber which on the manual says that Amber - Fault condition exists. The event has been identified, but the problem needs attention. So I'm thinking the drive went bad because the Disk Type is showing as UNKN (Unknown), the Size/Free is showing as 0B and the Status is MSNG (Missing). I tried to look at the event logs but it doesn't show me any

I think I should just replace the drive, can I do this while the unit is on or would the safe way be shutting down the unit and then replacing the drive?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: MSA 2040 Drive Degraded and Fault

@PeterX 

As two drives in amber so I would suggest to be careful and don't go with replacement blindly rather you need to check if any Virtual Disk Group in offline or QTOF state then log a support case with HPE. This is because if for any VDG RAID failed then data recovery will be impossible if you replace the drives.

If both drives part of different VDG and all VDG in FTOL or Critical state then you can go for replacement. It means none of the VDG is down.

Coming to Cache for both controllers, this is nothing to do with drive failure. You should run below command to check Flash cache health,

show cache-parameters

show system

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
PeterX
Occasional Visitor

HRe: MSA 2040 Drive Degraded and Fault

Hi,

Thank you for the respose @SUBHAJIT KHANBARMAN_1 

My other Virtual Dusk Groups are on FTOL status. I was going to attach some screenshots but it didn't allow me.

I was also going to open a support case with HPE but my unit is not under warranty anymore. 

I'll try the command to see what it tells me.

PeterX
Occasional Visitor

I ran the show cache-parameters command which came back with both pass results on the 2 controllers

Write Back Status: Enabled

CompactFlash Status: Installed

CompactFlash Health: Ok

Cache Flush: Enabled

Show System:

Health was Okay.

So would a drive swap help my situation?

rakesh_93
HPE Pro

Hello Peter,

Additionally, if both the read-cache DGs failed at the same time, I would suspect the failure due to older firmware on the SSDs.

Please check: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00092758en_us

If the model of the SSD you're using is listed in the advisory, I believe you would receive support for this issue. Contact support for further assistance.

Also, it is recommended to leave those SSDs un-seated halfway until replaced. You would have to replace the disks and re-create RC groups to make the pools healthy again.

Regards,
Rakesh S

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

@PeterX 

If all VDG in FTOL state and you have all data access then you can go for drive replacement if any drive shows in failed state.

You have also confirmed that both Cache looks fine and System health also says ok.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Waltmani
Occasional Advisor

I've just had two of the SSD 400Gb,  Read Cach VDG, fail simultaneously.   I've replaced the drives but how to I recreate the VDG Read Cache?  Do I just delete the old VDG and create a new one?

PeterX
Occasional Visitor

Yes, that's what I had to do. I deleted the old cache then create a new cache.
Waltmani
Occasional Advisor

Thanks.   Did you use the CLI or the GUI?

PeterX
Occasional Visitor

I did everything through the GUI.
--