New Discussion

MSA 2040 Error: The MC is not ready. Wait a few seconds then retry the request

SOLVED
Go to solution
mgruben
Regular Visitor

MSA 2040 Error: The MC is not ready. Wait a few seconds then retry the request

Hey all,

We're running an MSA 2040 (stock firmware) dual controller.

Previously, I've been able to log into the SMU on both controllers.

Now, however, the B controller's SMU is down, and it doesn't even respond to pings.

The A controller's SMU gives me a login page, but won't let me log in ("Initializing, please wait...", "Warning
The system is currently unavailable").

I can ping and SSH into the first controller, but almost all commands that I run on MC A, return, for example:

Management Controller is getting data from the Storage Controller. Please wait...
Management Controller is getting data from the Storage Controller. Please wait...
Error: The MC is not ready. Wait a few seconds then retry the request. (2017-12-06 09:14:17)

A notable exception is `restart mc a`, which succeeds, except afterwards I still can't log into the A controller's SMU.

`restart mc b` returns:

Error: There was a failure to communicate with the remote MC ; MC restart failed. (2017-12-06 09:31:51)

Our storage IS working though, just both management consoles are having problems.

This situation is very similiar to this issue, though in that case his storage was inoperative, where here it's working.

His solution was to literally unplug the MSA, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in.  He then promptly updated the firmware and apparently the MSA never failed in this way again.

However, I want to avoid power cycling the MSA if possible, especially because, although we have backups of all of its contents, this is the lone storage array for the office, and if it loses data, it will be very bad.

Any thoughts how I might get the management controllers back?  I promise I'll update firmware after that.

3 REPLIES 3
HPSDMike
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: MSA 2040 Error: The MC is not ready. Wait a few seconds then retry the request

Sorry to be 'that guy' but you really need to open up a support case on this. Even if you didn't buy optional support packs, you should still get 3 years of default NBD support on this. 

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

mgruben
Regular Visitor

Re: MSA 2040 Error: The MC is not ready. Wait a few seconds then retry the request

I agree, and now have actually done so.

While I'm not new to HPE equipment, I am new to HPE's support environment, and, yesterday at least, I didn't have much luck navigating it.

Yesterday, going to the HPE Support site -> HPE Support Center -> Chat with HPE, I received a message to the effect that there was no agreement covering support.

Doing that same process again this morning, it worked.

I suspect p.e.b.k.a.c.

Thanks!

HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Great, hope it moves along quickly for you. You can also call the center that is responsible for your country. The US support number is 1-800-633-3600 and you can always ask for the manager on duty if you feel that your case is not progressing as you would hope. 

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo