3682 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 2040 Expansion

ITGuy1024
Occasional Visitor

MSA 2040 Expansion

Hi,

I currently have an HP 2040 MSA in production. We purchased a 2050 to attach to the production 2040 for expansion. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any documentation on the procedure on how to do this. Would anyone be able to point me in the direction for the steps / instructions for this?

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
SahanaR
HPE Pro

hi,

Please check this link,

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03820011

Sahana@R
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo

It looks like you have purchased MSA 2050 drive enclosure which you want to add with existing MSA 2040 system.

As per the quickspec (page no 13) MSA 2050 drive enclosure supported,

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04123144

Also please find the MSA 2050 drive enclosure installation instructions,

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00022337en_us&docLocale=en_US

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
ITGuy1024
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the info.

Can I install the inclosure while the current production one is online (online expansion) and running a rescan from the current MSA?

Yes, the MSA2050 JBOD enclosure is hot pluggable. Be sure you follow all the recommended guides on racking and power. Once the enclosure is properly installed you can simple insert the SAS cables, allow the MSA2040 time to scan the backend and add the new drives.

Once the new drives have been discovered you can use the MSA2040 SMU or the MSA2040 CLI. You cannot connect to the  MSA2050 JBOD enclosure and configure the new drives.

Never suggested to manually run rescan command when production is up. Let the system scan drives automatically.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
ITGuy1024
Occasional Visitor

Thanks - about how long does it take for it to do a self scan for the new drives?

It will be same like how you have initiated the system initially. Also size of the drive matters but can't predict the exact time it will take because Controllers will be busy with existing stuff along with current stuff

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo