4577 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 2040 Failure

Leahcim
Occasional Visitor

MSA 2040 Failure

Hi all,

I have a failed MSA2040 (both controllers have been burnt/damaged).

There does not seem to be any physcially amage to the disks and was wondering if anyone knew of the correct process to setup the disks in a replacement MSA 2040.

Is it as simple as placing the disks in the new MSA, will the original configuration be rebuilty from the disks?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

If you are sure no burn marks on the disks and no physically damaged, you can try with the new MSA 2040 and follow the below steps.

1. Install all the disks in the same slots as per the problematic MSA 2040 and connect the cables with the server.

2.Power on the MSA 2040 first.

3. Wait for 10 minutes.

4.Power on the server.

Disclaimer: Data integrity is customer responsibility. HP recommends to have data backup frequently and before performing any activity so that it can be restored during disaster recovery.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Cali
Honored Contributor

Complement:

The Raid Configuration is on the Disk and will transfer.
Everything else (Name, IP, Hosts Presentations) is on the Controller and have to recreate.

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Yes, you will get only a raid configuration.

You will get all the other information from the old storage logs.

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Leahcim
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the replies. Do you know how I can access the old storage logs. The it looks like one of the compact flash cards in a controller has not been damage. Is there information I can retireve from these?

Thanks again.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

You can not access storage logs as per the shared information or current situations.

If you collected the storage logs in the past or you saved the logs before.

Sorry to say, no other way and no luck.

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.

Accept or Kudo

Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

Just to add a little clarity. 

The Compact Flash card holds cache data for faster transfer from the host to the disks. The Compact Flash card will not contain any old logs. Usually when you save logs it is to a PC or a server that you have logged into the array from. If you have no old logs you will need to reconfigure the new system without the previous configuration information.

You can install the drives from the old damaged MSA2040 into a new MSA2040. You do not have to install the drives in the same location as the array is not slot dependant. All of the Pools or VDisks information is stored on the metadata of the drives. As long as the drives were not damaged you will be able to recover all the data contained in the Pools or Vdisk on the drives. You cannot install those drives in another storage system as that controller will not be able to read the metadata on the Pools or Vdisks.

A word of caution - if the controllers were damaged due to some kind of thermal event I would be very concerned about the drives. They likely would have been close enough to be exposed to heat, particulate matter, or uneven power fluctuations that could result in damaging the life expectancy or resiliance of the drives. Get your data off and then consider replacing those drives.

Even if you find old storage logs you will still need to map the new MSA2040 to your servers. The WWN or the IQN of the ports will have changed with the new MSA2040 hardware. Be sure you follow best practices and map for dual paths to provide redundancy. Once you have correctly remapped the storage to the servers you will be able to access the data on the new array.

If you wish to check your firmware on your new system you can now do so easily by checking this link: www.hpe.com/storage/msafirmware

Also, to check the overall health of your system and any available firmware versions you can use our new MSA Health Check Tool at the following link: www.hpe.com/storage/MSAHealthCheck

Download your MSA Log File from your MSA array
Upload the MSA Log File into the MSA Health Check website
Review the results by clicking through the tabs and saving the PDF report
Links to array, enclosure, and drive firmware are provided for easy access

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo