MSA Storage
1748139 Members
4305 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 2040 LFF as shared storage enclosure for LUN for two HPE ProLiant DL380 Hyper-V-Cluster

dirklehmannkg
Advisor

MSA 2040 LFF as shared storage enclosure for LUN for two HPE ProLiant DL380 Hyper-V-Cluster

Dear Sir or Madam,

I was wondering if I might get here some feedback in adavance, because serial number not at hand yet.

Planning to adopt a HPE MSA 2040 LFF storage enclosure to two HPE ProLiant DL380 Servers as a shared storage or LUN for Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V virtual maschine disks.

Therefore we have purchased one HPE MSA 2040 LFF and three HPE 3 TB HDD SAS LFF and one additional controllers HPE 421 for each HPE ProLiant DL380. Plus additional SAS cable which fits into enclosure and controller.

My questions yet:

- Will the shared storage volume be configured (raid) by web interface?

- We need at least 3 TB usable space for the existing virtual disks. Therefore I am planning to make one RAID5-volumen with the three 3 TB SAS HDD. If further HDD comes into the enclosure, then they will be a seperate volumen, right? A existing volumen can not be modified without data loss, right?

- Will the volumen be recognizec by the (HPE ProLiant DL380) controllers as (additional to the OS logial drive by the on-board-controller) logical drive which can be used as a additional disk volumen by the operating system (Windows 2012 R2 Server Hyper-V) for moving the existing virtual maschine disks on and use them from the shared storage?

- Further going to add the cluster feature to each OS (Windows 2012 R2 Server) at each HPE ProLiant DL 380 to use one NIC for hardbeat. Are there further thinks to have a eye on when building a cluster instead of working with to nodes? At the moment we have two Hyper-V nodes and replicate the virtual maschines between node1 and node2. With the MSA 2040 we will going to build a cluster out of those two existing nodes. Never did this before, so I would appreciate to get some additional information to this configuration by HPE in this forum or by phone, when telling the serial number of the MSA, ProLiants, additional controllers, SAS storage and cables. Seems that no part is missing yet, to do so. Please give professional HPE feedback in adavance. This would help and would be greate.

best regards,

DL

8 REPLIES 8
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Re: MSA 2040 LFF as shared storage enclosure for LUN for two HPE ProLiant DL380 Hyper-V-Cluster

Hello Sir,

It sounds as if you are still in the planning stages for your storage. Before configuring your array I suggest you upgrade the array and drives to the latest firmware. You can find the latest versions for both at the following link: https://h41111.www4.hpe.com/storage/msafirmware.html

Answers to your questions:

- Will the shared storage volume be configured (raid) by web interface? Answer: You can configure the storage from either the SMU (WebGUI) or CLI. Please review the following guides for more details.

SMU Guide: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04220794

CLI Guide: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04957376

- If further HDD comes into the enclosure, then they will be a seperate volumen, right? A existing volumen can not be modified without data loss, right? Answer: This depends on whether you are using Linear storage or virtual. You can modify a Linear vdisk by adding drives using the expansion utility. However, it is easier to use Virtual storage and add capacity. Using Virtual disk-groups, you could add additional drives, create a new disk-group and expand your volume this way. It is easy and quick. There is more information in the SMU Guide on both Linear Vdisks and Virtual Pools. However, either option will not cause data loss if done correctly.

- Will the volumen be recognizec by the (HPE ProLiant DL380) controllers as (additional to the OS logial drive by the on-board-controller) logical drive which can be used as a additional disk volumen by the operating system (Windows 2012 R2 Server Hyper-V) for moving the existing virtual maschine disks on and use them from the shared storage? Answer: Yes, you must present the volume to the host OS first, but then it will be recognized as an additional disk volume which can host the VMs.

As far as planning for your implementation there are some guides and Best Practices. You will need to adjust as needed for your usage.

HPE Planning Guide for Server 2012: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03572235&docLocale=en_US

HPE MSA 2040 Best Practices: https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-6892ENW.pdf

HPE MSA Storage Information Library: http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/storage/info-library/index.aspx?cat=msa&lang=1

Good luck!

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

dirklehmannkg
Advisor

Dear Shawn,

yes, I am (further) in the planning phase.

Regarding to the "HPE Planning Guide for Windows Server 2012 Failover Clustering" it confirms that we:

Yes we can build a Windows 2012 Failover Cluster with one HPE MSA 2040 LFF connected to two HPE ProLiant DL380p by HPE 421 SAS controllers (SAS cabled to the MSA 2040 LFF) in each of those HPE ProLiant DL 380p. Further more we can build a Cluster shared volumen with our three HPE 3 TB SAS HDDs LFF (with LFF drive cages) plugged into the HPE MSA 2040 LFF. Therefore we can chose between building/using a linear storage or virtual storage. Both options support RAID5 redudancy and error correction and can be enhanced in capacity without data loss, when doing config correctly.

I was wondering if you can confirm the above statement, that we now have all componentes (servers, enclosure, storage, additional controllers in each server and cabeling) to do so (to build a Windows 2012 Failover Cluster).

Maybe I am going to get back to you with further detailed questions in the next ours after reading the complete "Best practices", but do not understand yet what can be done incorrectly by configuring Linear storage or virtual. I was wondering if you might tell me please? Thank you.

@Shawn_K wrote:

Hello Sir,

It sounds as if you are still in the planning stages for your storage. Before configuring your array I suggest you upgrade the array and drives to the latest firmware. You can find the latest versions for both at the following link: https://h41111.www4.hpe.com/storage/msafirmware.html

Answers to your questions:

- Will the shared storage volume be configured (raid) by web interface? Answer: You can configure the storage from either the SMU (WebGUI) or CLI. Please review the following guides for more details.

SMU Guide: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04220794

CLI Guide: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04957376

- If further HDD comes into the enclosure, then they will be a seperate volumen, right? A existing volumen can not be modified without data loss, right? Answer: This depends on whether you are using Linear storage or virtual. You can modify a Linear vdisk by adding drives using the expansion utility. However, it is easier to use Virtual storage and add capacity. Using Virtual disk-groups, you could add additional drives, create a new disk-group and expand your volume this way. It is easy and quick. There is more information in the SMU Guide on both Linear Vdisks and Virtual Pools. However, either option will not cause data loss if done correctly.

Both options support RAID5 redudancy and error correction and can be enhanced in capacity without data loss, when doing config correctly. Yet I do not understand yet what can be done incorrectly by configuring Linear storage or virtual. I was wondering if you might tell me please? Thank you. Can you confirm please.

- Will the volumen be recognizec by the (HPE ProLiant DL380) controllers as (additional to the OS logial drive by the on-board-controller) logical drive which can be used as a additional disk volumen by the operating system (Windows 2012 R2 Server Hyper-V) for moving the existing virtual maschine disks on and use them from the shared storage? Answer: Yes, you must present the volume to the host OS first, but then it will be recognized as an additional disk volume which can host the VMs.

As far as planning for your implementation there are some guides and Best Practices. You will need to adjust as needed for your usage.

HPE Planning Guide for Server 2012: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03572235&docLocale=en_US

HPE MSA 2040 Best Practices: https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-6892ENW.pdf

HPE MSA Storage Information Library: http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/storage/info-library/index.aspx?cat=msa&lang=1

Just a question: Do one get the here mentioned documents also in german language in between? Thank you.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello Sir,

Either Linear or Virtual is a viable option for your solution. This will become a personal preference and consideration for your future scalability plans. Virtual would be easier to add additional capacity and disk-groups but Linear also has the ability for growth.

If you are looking even further out, the MSA2050 uses only Virtual storage. So for future planning, if you start with Virtual storage you can move the drives containing Virtual storage from a MSA2040 to an MSA2050 and not have to recreate the Pools. Since the MSA2050 (and future MSA products) does not use Linear storage you could not move Linear storage directly from an MSA2040 to an MSA2050.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

dirklehmannkg
Advisor

Hello,

unfortunately we have the following problem with our HPE MSA (connected to two HPE ProLiant DL380p as Hyper-V node) with our HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen8 with one HPE SmartArray 421 controller each:

A logical drive was created using the HPE controller. Disk Partitioning for the Virtual Machine Volume and Disk as a Quorum Disk was done with disk partitioning of Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter and GPT.

I can set the drive to "online" in disk partitioning, but not in Failover Cluster Manager. I am currently receiving the following error messages:

cluster:

CLUSTER1.SEBO.local

started

09.02.2019 20:06:37

Completed

09.02.2019 20:06:38

Physical disk resource for Cluster Disk 1 is created.
Cluster Disk 1 resource goes online.
Failed to create, configure, or bring online physical disk resource (disk) "Cluster Disk 1".
Physical disk resource for Cluster Disk 2 is created.
Resource for "Cluster Disk 2" comes online.
Failed to create, configure, or bring online physical disk resource (disk) "Cluster Disk 2".
When adding storage to the cluster, the following errors occurred:
An error occurred while trying to bring the resource "Cluster Disk 1" online.

The cluster resource could not be brought online by the resource monitor

Failed to try to bring the Cluster Disk 2 resource online.

The cluster resource could not be brought online by the resource monitor.

How do we get both media online?

DL

dirklehmannkg
Advisor

Hello,

first off all it┬┤s no MSA 2040, it┬┤s a MSA 2012SA, which was bought.
Meanwhile we are running sucessfully the Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 Server Hyper-V replication (30 second Intervalls) for the virtual maschines again.

The virtual maschines and virtual maschine disks are at one RAID5 NTFS volumen in a HPE enclosure connected to one HPE ProLiant DL360p Gen8 running Microsoft Active Directory (ADS) as SMB share.

So we are able to start virtual maschines from the SMB share from one other HPE ProLiant DL380p Gen8 (as Hyper-V host 1) and replicate to a other HPE ProLiant DL380p Gen8 (as Hyper-V host 2).

Further more we have bought a MSA 2012SA (as mentioned) which we should be able to use as CSV (cluster shared volumen) and build a Failover Cluster out of those two HPE ProLiant DL380p Gen8 running as seperatly Hyper-V hosts.

Furher questions:

- How to find out what exactly was the issue with the MSA 2012SA conntected to both Hyper-V hosts that we where not able to use it as shared storage yet for the Failover Cluster Feature?

- Meanwhile the Failover Cluster Feature was removed: Should we further try to build a Failover Cluster with those both Hyper-V hosts (Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter Edition) and use HPE MSA instead the HPE D3100 (SMB share) for virtual maschines and virtual maschine disks, or should we better leave it runnig for two to three further years with VM replicas and invest in two brand new Gen10 hosts (in the next 36 to 52 month) with Microsoft Windows 2016 Server and running this both as a cluster with Microsoft Storage Spaces and local storage (instead of MSA etc.)? So to say good by to Windows 2012 R2 Server in the next 36 to 52 month and HPE Gen8 and hello to Gen10 and Microsoft Windows 2012 Server?!

Seeing forward to get best practice, reliable and work proofen recommendations. It might be some trouble with our two HPE ProLiant DL380p with HPE 421 and MSA 2012 with HPE 4 TB RAID (LUN) attached to them, maybe please see this post in the Microsoft Technet Community forum regarding the issue here https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/3c58293d-1012-454f-befe-648188ff76a0/failed-to-create-configure-or-bring-online-physical-disk-resource-disk-quotcluster-disk?forum=winservergen please. Thank you.

DL

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You really bought this MSA2012 these days? It is obsolete since years.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please verify the storage as either an MSA2012 SAS or MSA2040. The two arrays are 4 generations different and have a lot of different features and configuration differences. Also, please be aware that the MSA2012 SAS array is an End of Life array that has reached it's end of support life. Additionally, the MSA2012 SAS array never supported a 3TB drive. While the drive may work, it also may have problems with boundries when forming a vdisk. Using an unsupported drive may give you unexpected results. For me personally, this is not where I would want to trust my data!

As you expand out further the MSA2012 SAS array is not supported with either the H421 or Windows 2012.

When the MSA2012 SAS was supported there were steps you had to take in order to get MPIO and failover to work correctly. Since the MSA2012 was never tested or qualified with Hyper-V I am not sure what recommendation can be made.

I suggest you try to configure your system in a supported confirguration. To view the latest configurations please refer to SPOCK: https://h20272.www2.hpe.com/spock/

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

dirklehmannkg
Advisor

Dear Shawn,

thank you for your reply. I was wondering if you might give use the feedback to our current configuration running and regarding the OS:

Meanwhile the Failover Cluster Feature was removed. We are currently running Hyper-V Replika between our two HPE ProLiant DL380p Gen8. The virtual maschines running are currently stored at a DS3100 enclosure connected to HPE ProLiant DL360p with Active Directory Service. The MSA2012-SA LFF is connected to both HPE ProLiant DL380p with HPE SAS HDDs as RAID5.

OneView and iLO "only" claims about two not original SATA SSD as RAID2 in the HPE ProLiant DL360p. There is no claim about the 4 TB LFF HDD in the MSA2012SA as RAID5 LUN connected to both HPE421 controllers in the both HPE ProLiant DL380p.

Nothing (no iLO, no UEFI configuration tool, no Oneview Ressource View, no Active Health system, no SSA) claims about the currently used SAS 4 TB LFF HDD in the MSA2012SA connected via HPE Smart Array 421 to both HPE ProLiant DL380p Gen8 with Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter Edition running Hyper-V 2012 R2.

So can we at least use the storage in the MSA to place virtual maschines and data files on it additional to the storage in the HPE ProLiant DL380p and in the HPE D3100 Enclosure connected to the HPE ProLiant DL360p ?! Please give feedback. Thank you in advance.

There is no claim regarding the used storage in the MSA by the controller firmware and iLO, so that means we might use the storage reliable even if mit as shared storage for Hyper-V 2012 R2?!?!? Please give feedback because hotline and HPE support case did not yet and all products are out of warranty! Please, because we currently/yet need it to keep up servers running for the business software regarding core business processes.

Should we better leave this configuration (as described above) runnig for two to three more years with VM replicas and invest in two brand new Gen10 hosts (in the next 36 to 52 month) with Microsoft Windows 2016 Server and running this both as a cluster with Microsoft Storage Spaces Direct and the storage in the ProLiant Gen8 or Gen10 (instead of MSA2012SA with Gen8 and Windows 2012 R2 Operating System)? So to say good by to Windows 2012 R2 Server in the next 36 to 52 month and HPE Gen8 and hello to Gen10 and Microsoft Windows 2016 or 2019 Server: So to build a cluster with two brand new HPE ProLiant and Storage Spaces and copy then the existing and running virtual machines all from Gen8 to the brand new HPE ProLiant DL-Series (360 or 380) Gen9 or Gen10 Hyper-V cluster with storage spaces direct?

Thank you in advance.

DL