New Discussion юеВ

MSA 2040 Reserved space utilization

SOLVED
Go to solution
Thahir313
Visitor

MSA 2040 Reserved space utilization

Hi,

I have a MSA 2040 running with dual controller. I can see that I have 10.9 TB space of which 7.9 TB has been provisioned, 1.1 TB free space(I believe spare HDD) and 1.8TB Reserved Space.(Refer attached image).

Well, my question now is whether can I use that reserved space to expand the existing volume?

I tried by right clicking the existing volume - tools - expand volume but I am getting only 1063 GB.

Is it taking from 1.1TB free space or from 1.8 TB reserved space?

Can  someone explain about all those storage spaces?

PS RAID5 configured

6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: MSA 2040 Reserved space utilization

from manual:

Reserved space refers to space that is unavailable for host use. It consists of RAID parity and the metadata needed for internal management of data structures.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Thahir313
Visitor

Thanks Torsten.

Regarding my question "I tried by right clicking the existing volume - tools - expand volume but I am getting only 1063 GB."

So 1063 GB should be from the 1.1 TB Free space. But can I use this space for expansion?

Solution

yes you can expand the volume size as per the size it shows at the time expand operation. This space coming from free space available in vdisk which you can see at the down of the screenshot which shows 1063.1GB only.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Thahir313
Visitor

Hi

Now I have expanded the available disk space to a particular vdisk as in the picture(san.jpg) where it was intially 2 TB and after expanding its 3.1 TB which is mapped to a server but the server says its still 2 TB(as in server.jpg) and I am not able to see the expanded volume.

Do I have to do any additional configuration in order to replicate in the server?

Try to stop production or application running on this MSA volume. Unpresent/unmap the volume from MSA and represent/remap the same

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
masterase
Frequent Visitor

After expanding it on MSA you must expand the Volume in Windows.

run diskmanager

Reload drives

This should show you free diskpace rigt of the provisioned Volume. Check wheter Volume ist BASIC or GPT. BASIC is limmted to 2 TB.