MSA Storage
1748136 Members
3669 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA 2040 SAS performance improvement for Hyper-V Exchange 2013/SQL Servers on Cluster

VICARIATUS
Occasional Visitor

MSA 2040 SAS performance improvement for Hyper-V Exchange 2013/SQL Servers on Cluster

Hello everybody,

I've a MSA 2040 12G SAS with 4 DL380 G9 connected in a clustered Hyper-v enviroment (Winsows 2012 R2 Datacenter).

SAN has been configured with a single RAID-5 Vdisk (#10 SAS 6G SFF 1.2Tb 10K with spare) and two volumes (Quorum+CSVFS) running many VM hosts with 2 production SQL 2012 R2 and 1 Exchange 2013, plus a snap pool.

I'd like to improve performance, now I've added some 600Gb 15K 12G SFF disks and create others two Vdisks for DB (RAID 5) and LOGS (RAID 10). Which is your suggestion? Create a volume and map single lun as logical disks in CVFS so to move and separate VHDX file or create many volumes and LUNs as Pass-trought disks directly and exclusively to Exchange/SQL VM guest so to move DB/LOGS files into?

To improve performance on data protection & availability, it's better create another single vdisk with a multiple snap pools to make all snapshots there (delete the snap pool on first Vdisk and expand volume to CSVFS) or use replication of all volumes?

I've used to create standard volume in a Vdisk with 512k Chunk size/512n, you suggest to use GPT and make disk alignment in 512k using diskpart or leave default?

Does anybody has some experiences to help me? Many thanks and I hope to receive asap reply/discussion.

Best regards