New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 2040 SMU Setup for VMWare

SOLVED
Go to solution
CallMeMonks
Occasional Collector

MSA 2040 SMU Setup for VMWare

Hi all,

I just wanted some advice on the new SMU (v3) for configuring the MSA 2040 for VMware. I've been so used to using the old SMU (I think it's version 2) for setting up HP SANs that the new version has taken me by surprise a little. I also wanted to utilise Virtual Disks, which I've heard is better for VMware (?), configuring the MSA via SMU v2 only allows for the creation of Linear Disks.

So my method for configuring the MSA with SMU v2 goes something like this:

1. Create the VDisk

2. Create the Volumes - When creating volumes, it allows you to map the iSCSI ports and also assign a LUN and read/write access

3. Add Hosts (ESX Servers) - Enter the ESX server IQN's and that should be all the config done.

However, using SMU v3 I'm a little lost... I've created a DiskPool (similar to creating a VDisk). I've created the volumes but this is where I am getting confused. When I create the volumes there is no option to map iSCSI ports, assign LUN's or configure read/write access.

And then, when I go to Hosts, "Add to Host" (which I am presuming is the same as Add Host) is greyed out.

Could anyone give me some advice on what steps I need to carry out that will allow me to do what I've done using SMU v2 but on SMU v3? Is there a process I must follow? Where/how do I configure iSCSI port mapping, assign LUN's and configure read/write access? Also how do I go about adding a Host?

Under the Hosts section there is a "Create Initiator" option, what's all this about? Any advice would be great and some step-by-step instructions would be fantastic.

6 REPLIES 6
Solution

@CallMeMonks 

If your requirement is to use MSA 2040 as Virtual array then better to follow MSA 2050 SMU guide because in MSA 2050 there is no more linear concept or you can use SMU V2. Everything with MSA 2050 is SMU V3 only. Hence your purpose will be solved.

You can refer MSA 2050 SMU guide. Page no 81 onwards you will get help with Hosts topic and page no 112 will help you with mapping topic,

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00017707en_us

MSA with VMware best practices whitepaper,

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/4aa4-7060enw.pdf

You can also check below links which will help you with your setup,

http://itsolution-rajuprasad89.blogspot.com/2015/05/how-to-configure-hp-san-storage-msa.html

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/581242

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
CallMeMonks
Occasional Collector

@Subhajit, thank you for your reply.

I have read those guides but I'm still confused. So far I have created the disk group and volumes.

Now, in the hosts section, I've got the create initiator option. This is where I'm confused... In this section , do I go to create initiator and then enter the details of my ESX servers?

@CallMeMonks 

Creating Host entry or addition of Host, multiple options are there. When MSA and ESX box connected physically and from ESX end you have already added the MSA, So it's possible that from MSA SMU end, under Hosts section you will see host entry and this is because automatically discovered. If you want to manually create host entry then you need to follow below steps,

"Creating an initiator" -> This is the first step to add any host to MSA. This is the place where you need to provide ESX IQN details.

Then next step is "Adding initiators to a host". This is just to give a name of the Host where initiator will be part of it through which MSA will communicate to that particular host. This host will later help you to add to any Host group if you have such requirement.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
CallMeMonks
Occasional Collector

Thanks again.

So when you say adding iniators to the host do you mean mapping the iSCSI ports to the ESX?

@CallMeMonks 

When you open your Hosts section in SMU V3 are you able to see any host details or initiators details ?

If so that means ESX host automatically got discovered and you can see "Discovered" shows as "Yes"

Please note these automatically discovered entries are actually Initiator entries. Until you assign a "Nickname" to the initiator you can't get the option "Add to Host" option.

Now let's say you are manually creating initiator that time assigning Nickname to initiator is mandatory.

Now coming to your confusion, please note without even doing "Add to Host" option also you can present volumes to hosts with the help of initiators only. So "Adding initiators to a host" option is just to assign Host name to an initiator. This is required if in case you have requirement to add hosts to host group.

So give direct answer to your query,

So when you say adding iniators to the host do you mean mapping the iSCSI ports to the ESX?

>> No actually mapping or connectivity already established at the initiator level.

Another thing to remember, when you configure Storage and Host mapping that time you need to input Host details at Storage end otherwise input storage details to Host end.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
CallMeMonks
Occasional Collector

@Subhajit thank you, I've managed to configure the MSA. ESX servers have discovered the SAN and the presented volumes. Thank you for all the help and advice.