9549 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 2040 and shared filesystem

jokken
Occasional Advisor

MSA 2040 and shared filesystem

hi,

I have a MSA 2040 with one large 7TB volume created. I have 12 HP blades that I would like to access this storage in a shared filesystem scenario over fiber channel. (simultaneously accessed by multiple servers / file locking )

does anyone have any proven good recommendation of what shared filesystem to use for this? does HPE offer a filesystem designed for this? 

i have tried ocfs2 and things are not very stable. people have recommend nfs4, but that is over ethernet not fiber channel.

in the end this is going to be run in an openstack environment. each blade is an openstack compute node which will store and access vHDs on the MSA and the filesystem chosen. these blades/compute nodes are Ubuntu 16 OS

thanks for any advice given!

4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

What OS are your blades running?  You need a clustered filesystem.

jokken
Occasional Advisor

thanks, they are running Ubuntu server 16. which may be unfortuante as far as supported filesystems. ubuntu 16 is what our openstack deployment tool deploys. ubuntu 16 is Debian based I beleive.

jokken
Occasional Advisor

note I want my IO to be thru the fiberchannel connection not ethernet. this I believe excludes filesystems like glusterfs...

jokken
Occasional Advisor

any ideas anyone? if I was using redhat I guess I would try gfs2....