108793 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA 2040 expansion

ToreJ
Occasional Contributor

MSA 2040 expansion

Hi.

I've got a MSA 2040 with 24 disks, and two virtual Pools: A, B

Pool A consists of one Virtual Diskgroup with 8 disk in Raid 10, and one virtual Volume.

Pool B consists of two virtual diskgroups in Raid 5. (7 disks + 9 disks.) in one Virtual Volume.

And the last two disks in global Spare

We need more space and a new volume, and I I'v got a new diskshelf with 10 disks available.
All the data has been moved to the Volume in PoolB, so this Diskgroup in Pool A can be deleted and recreated if reasonable.

Since PoolA consists of a Raid10 diskgroup with 8 disks. Is it ok to create a new Raid 6 diskgroup with 10 new disks, and add it to the same pool, or should I Create two Raid 6 diskgroups instead?:

(Delete the Raid10 diskgroup, and create two Raid 6 diskgroups:

8 disks in Raid6 + 10 disk in Raid 6)

This MSA is used in a two node Hyper-V Cluster..

Tore

1 REPLY 1
AshrafK
HPE Pro

Re: MSA 2040 expansion

It is recommended to configure same characteristics of the Disk Groups across a storage pool. If the drives on the new enclosure are same as on the existing configured enclosure, then you can (Delete the Raid10 diskgroup, and create two Raid 6 diskgroups: 8 disks in Raid6 + 10 disk in Raid 6)

Adding a new Disk Group configured with 10 drives in a RAID 6 configuration will produce inconsistent performance within the tier due to the different characteristics ( i.e; RAID 10) of the Disk Groups.

Ashraf Khan
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo