MSA Storage
1751765 Members
4771 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA 2040 how to change hard disk correctly?

BuHast
Occasional Visitor

MSA 2040 how to change hard disk correctly?

Hello.

We have storage MSA 2040, now it is working in our company.

Vdisk is not created. Now i can see the message, that 1 of hard disk is have healf "degraded" and Status - "LEFTOVR".

As I read information from Internet, the firs recomendation is "Before you can use the disk in a new vdisk or as a spare, you must clear the diskтАЩs metadata."

But this device in production, so i can`t have risk and make mistakes when try to solve the problem.

Please, tell me correct procedure to solve the problem. 

If the hard disk is broken, i will have to change it to same disk with same size?

If you need any additional information, I will send it. Thanks.

╨Х╤Б╤В╤М ╨▓ ╨╜╨░╨╗╨╕╤З╨╕╨╕ ╤Е╤А╨░╨╜╨╕╨╗╨╕╤Й╨╡ MSA 2040. ╨б╨╡╨╣╤З╨░╤Б ╨╜╨░╤Е╨╛╨┤╨╕╤В╤Б╤П ╨▓ ╤А╨░╨▒╨╛╤В╨╡. 

Vdisk ╨╜╨░ ╨╜╨╡╨╝ ╨╜╨╡ ╤Б╨╛╨╖╨┤╨░╨╜╤Л. ╨Э╨╡╨┤╨░╨▓╨╜╨╛ ╨┐╨╛╤П╨▓╨╕╨╗╨╛╤Б╤М ╤Б╨╛╨╛╨▒╤Й╨╡╨╜╨╕╨╡ ╨╛ ╤В╨╛╨╝, ╤З╤В╨╛ 1 ╨╕╨╖ ╨┤╨╕╤Б╨║╨╛╨▓ "Degraded".  ╤Б╤Г╨┤╤П ╨┐╨╛ ╨╕╨╜╤Д╨╛╤А╨╝╨░╤Ж╨╕╨╕ ╨╕╨╖ ╨Ш╨╜╤В╨╡╤А╨╜╨╡╤В╨░, ╨┤╨╗╤П ╤Г╤Б╤В╤А╨░╨╜╨╡╨╜╨╕╤П ╨╛╤И╨╕╨▒╨║╨╕, ╨╜╨╡╨╛╨▒╤Е╨╛╨┤╨╕╨╝╨╛ ╨╛╤З╨╕╤Б╤В╨╕╤В╤М ╨╝╨╡╤В╨░╨┤╨░╨╜╨╜╤Л╨╡. ╨в╨║ ╤Г╤Б╤В╤А╨╛╨╣╤Б╤В╨▓╨╛ "╨▒╨╛╨╡╨▓╨╛╨╡", ╤А╨╕╤Б╨║╨╛╨▓╨░╤В╤М ╨╜╨╡ ╤Е╨╛╤З╨╡╤В╤Б╤П. ╨┐╤А╨╛╤И╤Г ╨┐╨╛╨┤╤Б╨║╨░╨╖╨░╤В╤М ╨┐╤А╨░╨▓╨╕╨╗╤М╨╜╤Л╨╣ ╨┐╨╛╤А╤П╨┤╨╛╨║ ╨┤╨╡╨╣╤Б╤В╨▓╨╕╨╣ ╨┤╨╗╤П ╨╕╤Б╨┐╤А╨░╨▓╨╗╨╡╨╜╨╕╤П ╨╛╤И╨╕╨▒╨║╨╕. 

╨Х╤Б╨╗╨╕ ╨▓╤Б╨╡ ╨╢╨╡ ╨┤╨╕╤Б╨║ ╨▓╤Л╤И╨╡╨╗ ╨╕╨╖ ╤Б╤В╤А╨╛╤П, ╨╖╨░╨╝╨╡╨╜╨╕╤В╤М ╨╡╨│╨╛ ╨╝╨╛╨╢╨╜╨╛ ╤В╨╛╨╗╤М╨║╨╛ ╨░╨╜╨░╨╗╨╛╨│╨╕╤З╨╜╤Л╨╝ ╤В╨░╨║╨╛╨│╨╛ ╨╢╨╡ ╤А╨░╨╖╨╝╨╡╤А╨░?

╨Ч╨░╤А╨░╨╜╨╡╨╡ ╤Б╨┐╨░╤Б╨╕╨▒╨╛.

4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: MSA 2040 how to change hard disk correctly?

For any reason the contents of this disk is no longer current, hence "leftover".

Consider to clear the metadata of this disk, this will "empty" this disk and you can try to use it again. Maybe you need to declare it as a spare.

If you replace a disk, it must be the same type and should be the same size (or even larger), then you need it to declare as a global or dedicated spare.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
BuHast
Occasional Visitor

Hello.

Torsten, thank you for you answer. I have 2 storages in HP 2040, each contains 12 hard disks. As I know, each storage has RAID 5 structure. 

If I will make "clear disk metada", after that, will I have to do any ather action to install this disk to the RAID?

I think the technical terms you used may be confusing. As per my understanding you have one MSA2040 where 24 total drives. Out of this you have two vdisks and each created with 12 drives. Both vdisk created with RAID5. Now if for any one vdisk, out of 12 drives if one drive showed you LEFTOVER then be very careful before go for clear metadata. Always check for any medium error or hardware error on other 11 drives on the same vdisk. Otherwise when you clear metadata for the LEFTOVER drive and configure it as dedicated spare for that vdisk then reconstruction may not get completed if other drives having hardware issue. If you share me MSA store.logs file then I can check and properly guide you.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
BuHast
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for your answer.

>>As per my understanding you have one MSA2040 where 24 total drives. Out of this you have two vdisks and each created with 12 drives. Both vdisk created with RAID5. 

Yes, you understood all clearly. 

I made all actions by instructions - clear metadata and than reconstruction the disk. All processed finished without errors. In log i sow the message that reconstruction of the group disk completed (code 18).

Thank you.