MSA Storage
1748244 Members
3818 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 2040 overcommits when there is available space

globier

MSA 2040 overcommits when there is available space

I have an MSA 2040 with 2 x storage pools. 1 with 1 x volume (A) and 1 with 2 x volumes (B & C). Both storage pools are Virtual.

Currently pool 1 shows 8389.9GB Size and 6986.1GB Allocated with 1403.8GB Unallocated.

When I try to grow volume A by 500GB it states if I continue it will 'Overcommit the virtual pool'.

Why is this and how can I expand the volume without overcommitting the storage.

Any help greatly appreciated

3 REPLIES 3
User1010

Hi there,

We're seeing the same type of behaviour. Did you ever find an answer or explanation for this? 

thanks

User1010

@globier.........I would suggest you to provide the below command outputs that will help to answer you properly,

# show pools

# show volumes

# show disk-groups

Also screenshot of the Pool A from SMU where all space clearly visible........specially free space

Just a quick information for you..........if you see in Pool level "OverCommit" parameter is Enabled this means your volumes are Thing provisioned volume. This is enabled by default.

You can increase volume size by any size for example in your case it is 500GB but for that it will OverCommit the Virtual Pool. If overcommitting the physical capacity of the system is not allowed, the value cannot exceed the amount of free space in the storage pool.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo