1752608 Members
4652 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 2050 Disk Group - physical separation

ttdds1
Visitor

MSA 2050 Disk Group - physical separation

Hi, Just got 2 new FC MSA 2050s maxed out disk shelves to run a Hyper-V cluster. Due to security regulations, there is a physical disk separation requirement for separate project data. eg: Projec1 on disk group 1, Project 2 on disk group 2, etc.  This is the base requirement and projects cannot share physical disks to eliminate cross contamination. When creating disk groups, it automatically adds the disk group to the pool, so when a volume ("LUN") is created, it is spread across all the disk groups in the pool and not on a didicated disk group (with its own RAID6 configuration), which will not be acceptable for this specific use case and requirement. So, my question is, how do I create disk groups where I can create volumes on which are only didicated on those disks in the disk group, not spread across all disk groups in the pool ?. Then multiply it, 8 disks per disk group (RAID6) x 3 = 1 shelf x 7 shelves. This is then repeated to get 21 separate disk groups to host 21 projects in didicated disks ? If data is to be distroyed, the physical disks in the disk group will be removed, removing only that specific project data. No data "pages" can be shared across all the disks.. 

The alternative is to put PCIe SAS cards in the servers and use Windows storage spaces, but that is last resort. 

Any advise please ?

Regards

7 REPLIES 7
arun_r
HPE Pro

In MSA 2050 a volume is carved out of all disk groups that are part of the Pool. Unfortunately, there is no option to create volumes out of dedicated disk groups. Linear vdisks in previous version MSAs (MSA 2040 / P2000 G3 )used to support the volume creation under specific vdisk. 

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

ttdds1
Visitor

Thank you for the quick reply.

Could I reuse the SAS attached disk shelves and directly connect them to a physical Windows server as JBODs ?

I have 7 of them for each SAN.

Many thanks.

arun_r
HPE Pro

It depends on the model number of disk enclosures that was shipped with the MSA 2050 and the server model.

MSA 2050 disk enclosures are not compatible with HPE proliant servers.

D2000 series disk enclosures will work with older model HPE proliant servers

D3000 series disk enclosures will work with newer model HPE proliant servers

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

ttdds1
Visitor

Thank you for the reply.

So what would my options be ? 1, Buy MSA 2040 controllers ? , 

Regards

Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

In order to create seperate systems you could swap out the JBOD IOMs with controllers. At that point you could create a Disk Group per pool and one volume (LUN) per pool. This would give you two LUNs per shelf.

You might be limited by how many HBAs you can install in the servers you are connecting the MSAs to.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

arun_r
HPE Pro

The chassis of MSA 2050 is not listed under spare parts list of MSA 2040.

Shawns suggestion would work.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

RJEA
Occasional Contributor

Hello,
Based on the present scenario, what occurs to me is that you could select x amount of disks for severals DG (A) in Pool A and use this pool (A) for Project 1 and do the same with the rest of disks, group them together to create DG (B) in Pool B and use them in Project 2.