New Discussion

Re: MSA 2050 SAN - Basic preperation

SOLVED
Go to solution
andy_msc
Occasional Advisor

MSA 2050 SAN - Basic preperation

Hi Community,

I'm about to prepare 10x MSA 2050 Storage Array and 10x MSA 2050 Storage Enclosures for a customer.

The goal is :
- equip every Array and Enclosure with 24 hard drives
- equip both controllers of every Array with 2 SFP modules
- set the management IPs for both controllers on every Array

Questions:
1. I equip an Enclosure with the HDDs and only connect power to check if every component (PSU, FAN, HDDs) is working. Can I switch off the power just like that and the system is still in basic (almost) manufacturing state?

2.  Same question for the Array. Equipping with HDDs and SFP modules. Powering on to check components are working. Do I have to be aware of anything before powering down?

3.  I would set IPs with the CLI  (described in MSA 2050 User Guide chapter 5).  Is this the simplest way? If I set the IPs  with " set network-parameters" is it already persistent and can I power down the systems savely by flicking the power switch?

The systems should not be connected to anything else than power the whole time.
Nothing else than IP settings should be set so the customer would have almost default factory configuration.

Thanks for input.

4 REPLIES 4

I would suggest you to go through below links to get some important documents links to know more about MSA2050.

If you follow Quick start guide that will help you to know how to start MSA2050 and how to connect MSA2050 expansion disk enclosure. You can't check Expansion disk enclosure without connecting them with Controller Enclosure as Expansion enclosure IO modules not having any seperate SMU access.

It's never recommended to do hard shutdown of Controllers like removing Power cables without shutdown Controllers from CLI or SMU.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00022365en_us

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00017812en_us

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00017714en_us

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00017716en_us&docLocale=en_US

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
andy_msc
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

thanks for the answer.

So basically you would suggest the following order:

- equip Array and Enclosure with HDDs
- connect Enclosure to Array
- Power on Enclosure (wait for LEDs to stop blinking and check for error LEDs)
- Power on Array (wait till ready)
- connect to CLI and perform IP configuration
- shutdown both controllers with cli
-remove power from Enclosure
-remove power from Array

This way they will receive the basic configuration and should be in a healthy state after powering down?

Yes Perfect..........:)

Request you to kindly mark this forum as resolved so that people who are all following can get their answers.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Shawn_K
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

There is one critical change I would suggest. You should not disconnect the power to the enclosure prior to powering down the array head. change the process to the following.

- equip Array and Enclosure with HDDs
- connect Enclosure to Array
- Power on Enclosure (wait for LEDs to stop blinking and check for error LEDs)
- Power on Array (wait till ready)
- connect to CLI and perform IP configuration
- shutdown both controllers with cli

-remove power from Array
-remove power from Enclosure

This way in case the shutdown command does not complete fully you will not have an enclosure disappearing which will cause a SAS backend domain reformation prior to removing power from the controllers.

Cheers,

Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo