5267 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA 2050 Scripting Question

palmero
Visitor

MSA 2050 Scripting Question

Hello,

We have 3 MSA's and would like to automate reporting on storage metrics (i.e. raw storage, allocated, free, etc.).

Currently, the process is manual through ssh CLI (Putty) by logging in and issuing the command 'show pools'.

I tried automating this by running plink -ssh with the proper credentials and -batch 'show pools' command. However, the output from plink is in xml which makes it almos unusable for manipulating further with PowerShell. 

Appreciate any suggestions.

3 REPLIES 3
ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Re: MSA 2050 Scripting Question

Hi Palmero,

As per MSA Command line guide the output of CLI scripting would always be in XML format.

Reference MSA 2050 CLI guide page 15:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00017709en_us

The CLI has two output formats:тАвConsole format, which is the human-to-computer interface (HCI).тАвXML API format, which is the computer-to-computer interface (CCI).

Scripting is not supported using console format because labels, field sizes, and order of fields may change in future firmware releases. To properly script CLI commands use XML API format, which is expected to remain consistent from release to release; field names will be consistent and new functionality will be added as new fields.

Note: I do not have the expertise with scripting. I am just sharing information from the CLI guide.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

palmero
Visitor

Hello AnrunKKR,

Yes, I am aware of the guide and need to use XML scripting. I was looking for some examples. It is unfortunate that HPE MSA supports CLI commands only from an interactive session. For example, I can issue command "show pools" through a PuTTy interactive session, but when this same command is launched from plink, it generates a cumbersome XML report that's difficult to manipulate through Power Shell. 

Currently, we leverage Power Shell to extract metrics from two VNX arrays, two Isilon and one 3PAR.

We also have the 3 MSA systems that will now require scripting in XML.

Thank you.

ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hi Palmero,

I do understand your concern

However, we do not have any suggestions in this regard.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo