MSA Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSA 2050 Virtual Pool B degraded as it ran out of space. How to recover?

SOLVED
Go to solution
NathanM
Occasional Contributor

MSA 2050 Virtual Pool B degraded as it ran out of space. How to recover?

The Virtual Pool B was over-provisioned and it ran out of space. Now that, the disk space has been cleaned up at VMWare side, but the pool B is not recovering from its state. Not sure how to reset it without restarting the controller.

4 REPLIES 4
Solution

Re: MSA 2050 Virtual Pool B degraded as it ran out of space. How to recover?

What is the VMWare version you are dealing with this MSA volumes ?

Have you manually executed "esxcli storage vmfs unmap" on the datastore to initiate space reclaim from VMWare end?

Even if you executed space reclaim at the VMWare end with the help of unmap command but the effect will not be immediately. It's a slow process because space reclaim happens in 4MB pages.

What you have done is you have deleted data at the VMWare filesystem level but MSA block level doesn't know about this. So to make MSA understand that you have deleted some data at the file system level you need to execute unmap command to fill zeros on the deleted space so that MSA can detect those zero fill area and start reclaiming those space at block level. Then only you will see free space in MSA VDG level. You can check below details,

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.storage.doc/GUID-BC1A172C-E649-4812-B8B2-A9E45AC97051.html

In order to check space reclaim and unmap inside MSA then use command,

show disk-group-statistics

[disk-group disk-group]

[type linear|virtual]

There are few parameters in the output which give more details on this,

Pages Allocated per Min

Shown for a virtual disk group. The rate, in pages per minute, at which pages are allocated to volumes in the disk group because they need more space to store data.

Pages Deallocated per Min

Shown for a virtual disk group. The rate, in pages per minute, at which pages are deallocated from volumes in the disk group because they no longer need the space to store data.

Pages Reclaimed

Shown for a virtual disk group. The number of 4-MB pages that have been automatically reclaimed and deallocated because they are empty (they contain only zeroes for data).

Pages Unmapped per Minute

Shown for a virtual disk group. The number of 4-MB pages that host systems have unmapped per minute, through use of the SCSI UNMAP command, to free storage space as a result of deleting files or formatting volumes on the host.

More details you can find in CLI guide.

Best option or immediate solution is to delete volume or snapshots (which are not required) directly from MSA which will be quick and you can make free space faster otherwise you need to buy new drives and make new VDG and add to the pool to get more space.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

Accept or Kudo
NathanM
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Mr. Subhajit. I hope the solution fixes the problem. 

I have access only to the web interface. But I will forward your reply to our support team and get that fixed.

The version: ESXi6.5

I will update if that fixes the problem.

One more question - Is it ok to restart the controller in this state? I understand that the VMs from that pool will go down for a while, which is ok in our case. 

Why to restart controllers? it will not help in this situation

Your issue related to space which is related to drives where you don't have space anyway. Controller restart will not help to free up any space.

You can try VMware Vmotion and move your production application to other place.  Then you can fix space issue in your MSA.

Storage vMotion is a component of VMware vSphere that allows the live migration of a running virtual machine's (VM) file system from one storage system to another, with no downtime for the VM or service disruption for end users.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

Accept or Kudo
Highlighted
NathanM
Occasional Contributor

Thank you again!. The "Reclaiming Unused Storage Space" from VMWare helped to recover the situation.  Awesome!