5145 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA 2050 enabled NPIV

smanif1
Occasional Visitor

MSA 2050 enabled NPIV

Hi, 

Whether MSA 2050 SAN enabled with NPIV or not ? because when we are trying to create and assign vsan in hyper v guest OS we are getting the below error.

Virtual port creation failed with a NPIV error.

Regards,

Mani

5 REPLIES 5
SahanaR
HPE Pro

Re: MSA 2050 enabled NPIV

@smanif1 

Hi ,

The error you are referring seems to be irrelevant to the storage.

NPIV is ebaled on the switch.The Storage network must support NPIV (N-Port ID Virtualization).

I tried to look for the error and it points to HBA and the hyper V machine. This link might help http://www.yusufozturk.info/windows-server/hyper-v-vhba-virtual-port-creation-failed-with-a-npiv-error.html

Please let me know if you have any specfic error/issue pointing to MSA 2050 SAN.

Thanks

Sahana@R
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
smanif1
Occasional Visitor

Hi Sahana,

Thanks for reply.

Just need to understand whether MSA 2050 SAN storage compatiable with NPIV or not ?

Regards,

Manikandan

Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello Manikandan,

When the MSA2050 is in a direct connected configuration, it is not compatible with NPIV. If the MSA2050 is connected through a switch, then we cannot tell NPIV from physical and it will work correctly.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

smanif1
Occasional Visitor

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for reply. 

Based on your reply understood if we connect directly MSA 2050 storage to server NPIV will not support, but if we connect through Switch it may work or not work and it depends between HBA and Hyper -v . please confirm whether my understanding correct or not.

Regards,

Manikandan

Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello Manikandan,

Your understanding is correct. If the MSA2050 is connected to a switch, then NPIV will work through the HBA/NIC and Hyper-V configuration compatability.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo