5579 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 2050 issue

Freddy2
Occasional Visitor

MSA 2050 issue

Hi colleagues,

I have connectivity issue with host and MSA 2050 storage via iSCSI protocol.

Host interface uses tagged VLAN to connect to the storage via Fiber Switch.
But host and storage iSCSI inetrface can not interact. I guess it's due to VLAN tagging unavailability on storage side.

Have two questions.

1. Can it be a reason for connectivity problem ?

2. Is it anyhow possible to set VLAN ID for iSCSI interface on the MSA 2050 ?

Thank you in advance.

BR,
Freddy.

6 REPLIES 6
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello Freddy,

You may have some confusion here. You state "uses tagged VLAN to connect to the storage via Fiber Switch" A fiber switch is typically an FC protocol or fibre channel. Yet you are also stating there is iSCSI protocol. Fibre channel and iSCSI cannot communicate over the same protocol.

If you do happen to have the array, switch, and host all on the same fabric, you do need to make sure the VLAN is configured correctly for the host to access the array via the switch. With a tagged VLAN already configured on the switch it has to allow the communication between the array and the host OS.

Maybe getting a clearer definition of the network would allow for a better understanding of how to help and next steps.

Cheers,

Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Freddy2
Occasional Visitor

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for reply.
Let me explain a bit more.

I have specific hardware between my host (OS - RHEL7.2) and the storage.
The hardware requires to have "tagged" ports only. So the traffic going out the "specific" device via fiber cables connected to the storage is tagged (for example, VLAN ID = 777). However it's not possible to set VLAN ID on the iSCSI port on the storage. I guess that the real problem.

BR,
Freddy

What is the product ID or exact model details of the MSA you are using?

What are the Host interface protocol defined in MSA? FC or iSCSI or SAS?

What kind of cables connected to the Host ports of MSA? Fibre cable or Ethernet cable?

Between Host and MSA how many devices exist ? What kind of devices exist?

Is there any FC Switch exist between Host and MSA?

is there any Ethernet Switch exist between Host and MSA?

Note: When you talk about VLAN it's related to Ethernet only so never use this term with FC protocol otherwise this will create confusion for others

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Freddy2
Occasional Visitor

Hi Subhajit,

Please see answers below.

What is the product ID or exact model details of the MSA you are using? MSA 2050 SAN

What are the Host interface protocol defined in MSA? FC or iSCSI or SAS? iSCSI

What kind of cables connected to the Host ports of MSA? Fibre cable or Ethernet cable? Ethernet cables

Between Host and MSA how many devices exist ? What kind of devices exist? There is special electrical-to-optical converter between the Host and MSA. Host connected to "electrical" port and MSA connected to "optical" port. The status of the port on the MSA is UP.

Is there any FC Switch exist between Host and MSA? Answered above. Converter exists.

is there any Ethernet Switch exist between Host and MSA? Answered above. Converter exists. 

BR,
Freddy

Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello Freddy,

We have never tested the MSA 2050 SAN controller with converter cables. So while these might work, they are not a tested and therefore a supported option.

There are some troubleshooting steps you can do on your own. You can see if the MSA 2050 can discover the hosts. On the host end you can review whether any volumes are presented from the array. However, you appear to have a tagging issue where you have to set a host port on the array to a tagged VLAN identifier. The MSA 2050 array does not support this option. If you can disable this option from the converter to allow for more of a straight-thru type of connection between the array and the switch this may allow for connectivity. My suggestion is to carefully review the instructions with the cables and configure according to those directions following the options for a non-tagged VLAN connection.

We do list supported cables within SPOCK for the MSA 2050. https://h20272.www2.hpe.com/spock/

Good luck!

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

as Shawn mentioned this is a never tested setup so we can't predict or fix anything. 

Simple way to search is refer HPE SPOCK and MSA2050 quickspec and figure out supporting devices and use only those devices. Any other device which is not yet tested - you shouldn't use as there will not be any support further from HPE perspective if you face any issue with MSA2050 in future

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo