9748 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 2050 the system is unavailable at this time error

RAID0
Advisor

MSA 2050 the system is unavailable at this time error

Hi

I want to upgrade my MSA2050 firmware . All hard disk indicators and MSA health indicator are green with no alarm. But when I connected to manager via browser there were 4 problems :

1. Every 3 second a message comes and say "the system is unavailable at this time " and after that system return to me.
  2. Free space of volumes are less or for some volumes more than sth I see in my ESXI or Windows
  3. A volume that is unmounted from all ESXI servers has 500GB data
  4. One of my diskgroups's current job was VRSC ,that finished yesterday

What should I do?should I upgrade it? Is there a maintenance thatcI should do periodicaly e.g. to free up thin provision VMDK space that removed from VMs?

Thank you in advance

5 REPLIES 5

@RAID0 

What is the current firmware version?

For future reference - if you are upgrading from a version of firmware that is more than two major firmware versions back, it will require a multiple step process to get to the latest firmware version. Firmware should only be upgraded from the last two major firmware releases.

Below option you can try,

>> You can plan for downtime and stop Host IO first. Then shutdown the system. Then power up and try firmware update as usual. If still facing issue then try below option.

>> You can plan for downtime and stop Host IO first. Then shutdown the system. Then power up one controller and try to upgrade Controller firmware one at a time by disabling Partner firmware upgrade option. If required remove one Controller half of the bay before starting of the firmware update so that current controller firmware update process shouldn't detect other controller. Once this is done then insert other Controller and do the firmware update.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
RAID0
Advisor

Thank you dear  SUBHAJIT

whould you please explain more? i can't understand how can I upgrade controller sepratly and what is the upgrade blue print? how can i found upgrade change the mijor version?

@RAID0 

Regarding single controller upgrade, main point is out of two controllers one controller need to be in off state. You can remove one controller few inches from the Chassis in order to ensure that. Please note this methos is only required for special case like System having issue or running with very old firmware.

Also there is one option called PFU or Partner Firmware Upgrade, if this option enabled then at the time of Controller firmware update due to this option enabled, one controller after finish of controller firmware update go for next controller firmware update automatically.

If you upgrade controller firmware through smart component then during controller firmware update process PFU gets enabled automatically even if you have disabled it so if you want to go for single controller update better to go for FTP method by transferring firmware file manually to Controller and then do the upgrade.

Please check the below videos which will help you to understand the procedure and how to check existing version,

Part #1: HPE MSA Best Practice for Controller Firmware Update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exaQMRKjNvA&feature=youtu.be
Part #2: HPE MSA Storage best practice for expansion module firmware: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a-FaQcWhBc
Part #3: Updating HPE MSA Storage drive firmware demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jodXVECav8

You can also follow SMU guide and refer page no 67 and 167 to get all details and procedures of firmware update,

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00017707en_us

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
RAID0
Advisor

Thank you SUBHAJIT

I realy appritiate your kindness and help. I have 2 more question. My MSA Version is 270R001-01. Is it possible to directly upgrade to VL270P005(28 Oct 2020) via this windows file cp045355.exe (58 MB)?

When i upgrade first controller how upgrade other one (If I disable PFU or make one of controller one inch out of it's place)? Sholud i execute the file 2 times?

Does it update all componnet like extension module and disks? If not how can i update them

Thank you in advance

@RAID0 

You can go through below link to get all firmware related details,

https://h41111.www4.hpe.com/storage/msafirmware.html

Is it possible to directly upgrade to VL270P005(28 Oct 2020) via this windows file cp045355.exe (58 MB)?

Ans: Yes possible because VL270R001-01 to VL270P005 no major version change.

UPGRADE NOTE: If upgrading from a version of firmware that is more than two major firmware versions back, it will require a multiple step process to get to the latest firmware version. Firmware should only be upgraded from the last two major firmware releases. If multiple upgrade steps are required, it is recommended to engage HPE Support to confirm the upgrade path.

When i upgrade first controller how upgrade other one (If I disable PFU or make one of controller one inch out of it's place)? Sholud i run the file 2 times?

Ans: Already answered in my last post

Does it update all componnet like extension module and disks? If not how can i update them

Ans: Only expansion module firmware will get updated but not drives. You need to go through firmware search link and look for "MSA DRIVES" section. There you need to provide drive model number to get the drive firmware download link.

https://h41111.www4.hpe.com/storage/msafirmware.html

Procedure already shared in my last post.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo