MSA 2050 wrong disk in disk group

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gwendling
Frequent Advisor

MSA 2050 wrong disk in disk group

Hello,

MSA2050 VL100R004

Our disk group contains 10 disks ( 9 x 1,2 Tb disks and 1x  600Gb disk) the 600 gb disk is the black sheep , so the whole disk group in raid6 uses 600 Gb for all disks ...

How can we get rid of this ?

After replacing the 600 Gb disk with an 1,2 TB:

Do we need to delete the disk group and recreate it with th corrects disk.?

or can we just replace the disk and expand the capacity of the DG ?

Thank's in advance for your advise.

Gérard

8 REPLIES 8
HPSDMike
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: MSA 2050 wrong disk in disk group

I'm pretty sure your only option is to delete the disk group and recreate it. If the pool, that the vdisk is in, has multiple disk groups then the system will attempt to drain the disk group to other disk groups in the same pool but benefit is that your pool stays online. This can take a while. After it is drained, you can recreate your group.

If there is not enough space in the pool to drain the disk group out then the command will fail and you'll need deal with the whole pool. If you have Pool A and Pool B then you could always look to do a host-side copy of the data to volumes housed by the other pool. 

Or, if you just don't care about the data on the system then just go nuclear on the vdisk/pool and you should be good to go.

Since this is an MSA 2050 you likely have support on it so you could always log a case and see if support can identify a way to do this without deleting the vdisk but I'm not aware of a way off hand. 

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

Gwendling
Frequent Advisor

Thank's Mike,

We have 2 diskgroup DGA1 and DGA2 with a volume split on the two.

BTW i'll log a case to HP to see if there is a solution without destroyint the data

HPSDMike
HPE Pro

No problem. I'm guessing, by your reply, that there isn't enough space in the other disk group to hold both? If there were then it's pretty easy. However, since you are saying it is split then I'm guessing you are using most of the space in both?

Anyhow, another option is to just purchase more disks and add a third disk group to the pool. Then it will be non-disruptive when you delete the affected disk group. Expensive option but less impact. Please update the thread if you discover another option from support.

Just reinforcing that each disk group in, in a pool, should be identically configured in each disk type/tier. So, if your first disk group is 10 x 1.2TB then the rest of the "standard" tier disk groups should be configured the same way so as to avoid potential performance issues and hot spots. If you add a new tier (i.e. nearline for 'archive' or ssd for 'performance' then those disk groups can be configured differently if needed). 

Thanks

Mike

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

Gwendling
Frequent Advisor

Your Right Mike,

I don't have enough space to delete the disk group ... and there is only 4 free slots for disk add-on for a third disk group...

Gérard

Gwendling
Frequent Advisor

I have done the call to support ... waiting for answer...

HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Thanks Gerard, please let us know what you hear from support. Also, you mentioned you only had four slots left. I'm sure you know this but you can always purchase an additional enclosure.

Accept or Kudo

Gwendling
Frequent Advisor

HP suggested to replace the 600 Gb disks with 1,2 Tb and see if the additional space couls be retrieved. We did this but it has no incidence of the disk groups : still only half space availaible.

Gérard

Gwendling
Frequent Advisor

We got th answer from HP support :

We hare to delete/create the DGs with a good backup..

I 'll test Mike's solution by adding a third DG with enough space.