108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 2050

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tonyissa87
Advisor

MSA 2050

Hello I have bought msa 2050 storage with 8* 1.2tb sas and 16g FC Chanel I have 4 server (esxi) Please can you help me choose the best configuration to get best performance?? Thanks and best regards
is it better to make two pool and assign each one to one controller ??
do i need make two vds or one?
i want best performance when i attempt to make raid10 i can not put 8drives in disk group only i can put 4 drives
also do i need to make spare disk or it is not important???
thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Solution

Yes you can go for two VDG means one VDG with 4 drives per pool and it will balance the load among the Controllers.

If you look for performance only then I would suggest to go for single VDG with 8 drives in single pool because that will give you more spindle count which will enhance your performance.

Spare drive equally important when it comes to RAID rebuild faster without wasting any time in case of drive failure situation. If there is no spare configured then you need to wait until the failed drive gets replaced. Another point if you go for two VDG in two seperate pools then you need to configure two spare means 1 spare per pool.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Tonyissa87
Advisor

Thanks

but i con not put 8 drives in single VDG when iam using raid 10 ONLY 4 DRIVESSAN.jpg

You need to select "Number of Sub-groups:" as 4, right now it's selected as 2 that's why 2 RAID1 groups will be getting created with 4 drives, each RAID 1 sub-group will be getting created with 2 drives. So if you select Sub-groups as 4 then there will be 4 RAID 1 groups where each group contains 2 drives.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Tonyissa87
Advisor

Thanks

i make it and every thing is good

in my case i make single vdg with 8 hdds raid 10

if the controller A fail does the controller B will work ???

thanks again

Yes this is active-active array so Controller B will take care of the VDG if Controller A is down.

You need to keep in mind about volume presentation through both Controller Host ports which means multi-path need to be there from both controller as well otherwise eventhough VDG is up by non-owning controller in case of owning controller down but actual volume will not have access.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Tonyissa87
Advisor

Hello

the host is connected to both controllers over FC 

one port only active ..why??

also how can i make volume avability on both controllers??

regards and best wishes

Untitled.png

You need to check how the multipathing configured in host system, Ideally it should be Round-Robin policy but in your case looks like Fixed path set.

Regarding volume availability on both controllers, that's not possible. At a time volume will be owning by one controller only. In case of owning controller failure other controller will take over.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo