New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 2052 best perfomance Disk configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
sy2ben
Occasional Visitor

MSA 2052 best perfomance Disk configuration

Hello Community,

I am a Newbie and hope to get information about configuring the MSA 2052 (2 x 4 port Controllers SAS) for best performance.

I have 2 x 800GB SSD and 5 x 6TB, 7,2k HDD in the MSA. I have 3 Servers with dual out SAS for each Controller of the MSA. All Servers will have Hyper-V Maschines (a  total of 12, (4 per Server))

My first intention was to fill the Pool A with Raid10 4 x HDDs & Spare and the 2 SSDs as performance auto tier. But In this configuration the second Controller would be "idle".

So my Question is, for the best performance, schould i configure it like described before, or should i better configure it like this:

Pool A: 1 x SSD for read cache & 2 x HDD Raid 1

Pool B: 1 x SSD for read cache & 2 x HDD Raid 1

1 HDD global spare

Which configuration will be better/faster: 2 x SSD & 4 x HDD Raid 10 using the Auto-Tiering, on 1 Controller

or the one with: 1 x SSD read cache & 2 x HDD Raid 1, same on both Pools, so that both Controllers are working?

I asked the technician of my HPE Dealer, but he is also unsure about that.

Can you please help me?

Thanks in advance

sy2ben

5 REPLIES 5
Solution

I would prefer to go for the below configuration,

2 x SSD & 4 x HDD Raid 10 using the Auto-Tiering, on 1 Controller

If you choose other option then you will get advantage for read performance only but this will not help you for your application write performance.

If one controller idle you can cosider using it in future.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
sy2ben
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for the very fast answer Subhajit!

Best Regards.

Request you to mark the forum as resolved if there is no more outstanding query from your end on this issue.

This will help for everyone who are all following your forum.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello Sy2ben,

You did not say what kind of read writes you are going to be putting on the system.

One thing to consider. If you are doing all sequential writes they will fill the 7.2k  HDDs quickly. However, the reverse could be seen if you are using 100% random writes where you fill the write cache quickly.

At best you have one controller performance with one pool and at worse the performance of RAID10 which is not optimal performance.

Be sure you are fitting the needs of your storage allocation.

Cheers,

Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Xavi_73
Visitor

Hello.

With this configuration, if a connection from an HOST falls to the first controller, (or if the first controller fails) is the system still redundant?

I'm planning a similar configuration:

MSA2052 SAS  2x800SSD (performance Tier on pool1?)   6x1'2TBSAS10k (RAID5)  for 2 HOSTS.

I want a high-performance space for one ERP / SQL VM and a normal space for other (4-6) VMs, in a Hyper-V cluster.

What your recomend, for performance with HA ??

Thank you!