5161 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 2062 Array Configuration - Making use of read intensive SSD's

nikm
Occasional Visitor

MSA 2062 Array Configuration - Making use of read intensive SSD's

HI,

I'm a little confused as to the best array config using the pre-installed SSD's.  I also have 6 x 1.2TB SAS drives installed.  I've read the best practice documents, but I can't figure out the best way of getting tiering to work given as mentioned the SSD's are read intensive.  Should the SSD's be raid 1 and the 1.2TB drives raid 10.  If so, how does the MSA know not to do writes to the SSD's?

Regards

1 REPLY 1

Re: MSA 2062 Array Configuration - Making use of read intensive SSD's

@nikm 

Can you please share the link of the document and highlight the portion which makes you confused?

I would suggest you to refer the below best practice guide and it clearly says pre-installed SSDs you can use either as read cache or you can use as Performance tier as well. You can refer pago no 16 to clear your doubts as well. I am mentioning one of the portion for your understanding,

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/Getdocument.aspx?docname=a00105260enw#

Best practice: Choose read cache only when a workload is known to have a very low percentage of random writes.
– System default: N/A
– Detail: SSD read cache accelerates random reads, and does not accelerate random writes or sequential I/O. If random writes are frequent, use performance tiering.
– Example: Customer requirement
Random writes: <2K IOPS
Random reads: >2K IOPS

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo