Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSA 2312i , amber lights on disks when rebooted

JackG22
Occasional Visitor

MSA 2312i , amber lights on disks when rebooted

HI,

Last week I was preparing to add an extra enclosure to my MSA 2312i .

I am using this with VSphere 4.1.

I shut down my VM's , then shutdown the controllers through the Gui , pulled the power leads.

I then attached the enclosure to the MSA , powered it on , left it for 2 minutes , then powered the MSA on.

On first bootup , 8 of the disks had amber lights on the front panel , 4 were green  - when I looked in the GUI I could only see one of my Vdisks showing , the others werent there.

My Vcentre server obviously could not see the datastores and was reporting them as inactive.

I tried rebooting the ESXi hosts and did multiple rescans/refreshes but still nothing.

I then rebooted the MSA and too my joy all disks where showing as greeen and I could see the vidsks in the gui , but still the datastores were showing as inactive in Vsphere.

In the end I noticed that the two offending volumes were on the same controller , I rebooted the controller and all was fine after a refresh in Vsphere.

Can anyone shed any light on what happened here? , I pulled the enclosure back out during myu troubleshooting and so have to go through this again , I would like to know if I need to do somethign different.

Why would two of the volumes come up amber and not showing?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA 2312i , amber lights on disks when rebooted

Hey, so if the disks have an amber light it sounds like there was a problem detecting them -> there was a problem on the MSA.

Before any of these upgrades I recommend that you upgrade firmware on the MSA beforehand, there are lots of new firmwares and they honestly do have improvements.

As to try to figure out what happened you could try to investigate the logs of the MSA - they should be able to provide you with some information.

JackG22
Occasional Visitor

HI,

I upgraded the firmware two days previous , the new firmware is now running on both controllers.

So the Amber light is not a disk fault , more to do with not detecting them?

I was worried the first time I saw them because I thought at first that I could have lost the volumes..

there was something in the logs that said "Persistent IP data read/write error. (status: 0)" , i havent managed to find out what this means so far.

also got this in the critical section - "There is a problem with a FRU. (FRU type: A/C PSU, Left, enclosure: 1, product ID: 592267-001, SN: ************, version: C, related event serial number: A930, related event code: 168)" - althouhg not sure if this is just because of when I pulled the power.

thanks

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Good thing about the firmware, that should make it much safer to add the enclosure.

Some kind of message about SAS-channels or such might have some information about the disks and why they got the error led. 

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=592267-001 - the error was from the power supply at least.