7852 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA 60, E500 Comtroller

timmi
Occasional Contributor

MSA 60, E500 Comtroller

Hallo Forum,

I have two MSA 60 connected to a E500 controller. It is necessary to reinstall the operatingsystem on the attached server.

I have a silly and easy question.

Will the data on the storage stay save when i startup the server with a not connected MSA.

When I shut down the server and then connect the msa again, are then the files still on the storage?

Silly question, but i want to setup up the Oüeratingsystem while the msa is not connected. The Data should remain on the sotrage, and i want to access the data when i connect the storage later again...

I hope the question is clear.

Thanks and with kind regards

3 REPLIES 3
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA 60, E500 Comtroller

Hi,

shut down the server in an orderly fashion, then disconnect/shut down the MSA60.
Install OS.
Shut down server, connect MSA60, power on disk shelves, power on server.

The rest (access the disks and files) depend on what kind of OS and which filesystem you have on the disks.
timmi
Occasional Contributor

Hallo,

But you mean that a boot without connected MSA does not make problems to access the data later.

Tanks and with kind regards

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

If you: shut down server, disconnect MSA, start the server (not reinstall), shut down server, connect MSA, start up server.

This should not cause any problems.

I don't know what kind of magic your OS does that could cause problems for your case. NTFS permissions, ownership, etc, maybe these things cause issues when you reinstall Windows?