MSA Storage
1751738 Members
5813 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA HP Storage Works P2000 G3 - vdisk went offline during PSU replacement.

SOLVED
Go to solution
shahrukhntdc
Advisor

MSA HP Storage Works P2000 G3 - vdisk went offline during PSU replacement.

Dear All.

My name is Shahrukh and I am a SCADA Engineer. We are using MSA HP Storage Works P2000 G3 in our network in redundant configuration with RAID-5. One of the MSA P2000, I will call it STB02 (Storage Bay 02), was facing some PSU issues for some time. Today I was replacing the faulty PSU with a new one but unfortunately after replacement of PSU, when I checked the STB02 on SMU, the event display said, vdisk went offline. In Vdisks tree, instead of vd01 (RAID5), there is only :datanode" written. Now in Front Panel Graphical View, There is only 1 disk visible (actually 4 physical Disks) with LEFTOVR tag and in status it says OFFL. I am totally new to this MSA thing, unfortunatley I restarted the Manage Controller of this STB02 from Tools of SMU and now its no more accessible on SMU from Web Browser and I cannot watch events or any other SMU display. STB02 is not coming back on Network, no ping reply. STB02 is accessible on CLI. All the 4 Hard drives of the array has Orange LED ON. There is no Warning "LED ON" on Right Ear Cap and on Left Ear Cap "1" is visible. The other P2000 (STB01) is working fine. Please help me.

Regards,

Shahrukh

14 REPLIES 14
shahrukhntdc
Advisor

Here is the output of CLI command show vdisks:

HP StorageWorks MSA Storage P2000 G3 FC

System Name: ldsnstb02

System Location:Uninitialized Location

Version:L100R013

# show vdisks

Name  Size     Free   Own Pref   RAID   Disks Spr Chk  Status Jobs      Serial N

umber

Drive Spin Down       Spin Down Delay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vd01  1348.8GB 35.8GB A   A      RAID5  4     0   64k  OFFL

00c0ffdb1b3c0000a38e464d00000000 Disabled              0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Success: Command completed successfully.

As I told that I restarted the Manage Controller A of the said P2000, STB02, through SMU Tools, but now its not coming back on network, no ping reply, and I am not able to access STB02 thorugh SMU. The "OK" & "CACHE" LEDs on Back Panel are On in Green. Help please.Rear PanelRear PanelFront PanelFront Panel

Regards,

Shahrukh

@shahrukhntdc 

If you are sure that there was no hardware error with any of the 4 drives before replacement of PSU then you can try below command and it may help,

Login to Controller A CLI,

trust enable 

trust vdisk vd01

If you are not sure about health of all 4 drives then you can capture all events and look for any medium or hardware errors,

show events

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
shahrukhntdc
Advisor

Dear Subhajit Sir,

Thank you very much for the prompt support. There were only PSU related errors in the Events List on SMU before I replaced the PSU. I am sharing events with you. Please have a look on it. Unfortunatley, when I restarted "Management Controller" of the MSA P2000 through SMU Tools, it did not return back and I am no longer able to see the SMU displays. I am fetching events through CLI. Sir why My MSA P2000 is not coming back on Network? No ping reply no SMU access, I am sharing events list with you then I will do accordingly as you suggest. Once again thank you very much.

Regards

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gLR603QhtQBhyNJY9kYLCFihQ4iTOt4h

shahrukhntdc
Advisor

Subhajit Sir,

From show disks command the output is:

show disks all
Location Serial Number Vendor Rev How Used Type Size
Rate*(Gb/s) SP Status
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.3 JVWM3BAL HITACHI A510 LEFTOVR SAS
450.0GB 6.0 A Up
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Info: * Rates may vary. This is normal behavior.

Success: Command completed successfully.

Only Hard Disk in Slot 3 is visible. What does it mean? Are the Disk Drives in Slot 1, 2 & 4 have become faulty? When SMU was accessible, in front panel view only drive in slot 3 was visible with LEFTOVR tag. But there is no hardware failure event in the events list as per my observation.

@shahrukhntdc 

It looks like drives went down due to power issue.

LEFTOVER state doesn't mean drives are failed. It means Controller not able to recognize them as part of vdisk. So we need to tell controller that drives are fine and controller can trust them to start recover vdisk data. In order to achieve that we run below commands,

Login to Controller A CLI,

trust enable 

trust vdisk vd01

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
shahrukhntdc
Advisor

Dear Subhajit Sir!!

Thank you so so much. Trust command has given me hope. I ran the Trust command and it executed successfully. I am attaching the output of CLI for your review. But now I am facing another problem. Have a look:

1. Trust worked well and completed successfully. vd01 is back but its still OFFL as there is only one Disk out of 4 i.e. 1-3 which came online and now blinking in Green. The rest 3 are still with Orange LED On. Please look at the snap shot attached in Goole Drive Link. What u suggest? should i draw out them and then reseat them? Should I do this while MSA P2000 is in ON position and Host connected? What should be the sequence of Disks to be drawn out & re-seated back?
  2. Fortunately I just unplugged & re-plugged the LAN cable in Controller-A ethernet port and it just turned On and now I can access the P2000 on SMU. I am attaching the snapshots of SMU for your review.
  3. How will my P2000 will come to its normal state? please have a look on the snap shots and CLI_Trust output and guide me.  Also tell me how can I directly attach RARs or TXT files with my post? Sorry for the goggle drive link please.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gLR603QhtQBhyNJY9kYLCFihQ4iTOt4h 

Regards,

Shahrukh

Solution

@shahrukhntdc 

I can see only 1 drive getting detected by Controller out of 4 drives, that's why data recovery not happening.

In order to recover data, controller need to read metadata from each drive in order to understand the vdisk datastructure and start recoving data as per the RAID defined.

If you have valid support contract with HPE then please log a support call with HPE Support. This type of issue not possible to resolve in public forum.

If you don't have support coverage,  then on a best effort basis you shutdown the MSA or power down the MSA. Then physically re-seat all three drives which were not getting detected. Then power on MSA and check from SMU and CLI if all 4 drives getting detected or not. if so then need to check they are in which state. If more than 1 drive not available or failed then data recovery not possible. If at least 3 drives visible and in LEFTOVER state or 4 drives visible and in LEFTOVER state then check vdisk state. If it shows offline then you can try trust command again and check. Please note multiple trust command not good as it's re-writing vdisk metadata.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
shahrukhntdc
Advisor

Dear Subhajit Sir,

Before proceeding towards powering down the MSA P2000, I want to ask something. Our SCADA System is in running condition since year 2012, non stop, without any rest. I am afraid that CMOS battery (if there is one like other servers/ workstations) of my MSA P2000 STB02 will now be very weak and If I Power down the P2000, I am afraid that it will wash out its settings/ configurations specially RAID settings as I have already experienced this while restroing an HP Server DL-320 G6, I powered down the server and when it came back online, the RAID settings were gone. So is there any way that without washing out the Raid or other Bios settings, I can draw out and re-seat the disks? If I 1st replace the old CMOS battery with the new One, while MSA P2000 is in ON position, will it work? Please guide me.

Regards,

Shahrukh

@shahrukhntdc 

I am assuming that you don't have valid support contract with HPE so you want to continue here.

Please note Vdisk information along with RAID details saved inside each drive metadata. So if your drives are fine then only your vdisk or actual data will be fine in terms of vdisk structure or actual data.

Coming to battery part, each controller containes Coin battery and this battery provides backup power for the real-time (date/time) clock only.

The steps that I have suggested on a best effort basis only and there is no guarantee that data recovery will happen or not. It purely depends on health of the drive actually.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo