1752780 Members
6651 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA P2000 G3 disk upgrade

AhmedK1

MSA P2000 G3 disk upgrade

Hi,

i have MSA P2000 G3, i want to replace 1 disk from the array of 6G DP 15K SAS 600GB(spare 601777-001) with any higher capacity disk.

please advise compatible spare with same speed 15K.

1 REPLY 1
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Re: MSA P2000 G3 disk upgrade

Hello,

Can you explain why you want a higher capacity disk? The reason I ask is that if you have a pre-existing Vdisk that was created with 600GB HDDs, lost a drive,  and added a new 1TB drive as a spare, the new drive added in would only use 600GB of the available 1TB of space. You cannot use the extra capacity to expand the Vdisk. So buying the larger capacity drive is a waste of money. 

The Vdisk is created with metadata that defines how large each drive must be in order to be used within the Vdisk. So a drive that is of the wrong type (SATA vs SAS) or a smaller capacity would not be accepted as a spare. A drive of a larger capacity will only use the same capacity as the existing metadata structure of the vdisk allows.

My suggestion is for you to use the existing spare part number 601777-001 to find the right drive for your system.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo