6280 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA P2000 G3 , right procedure to turn on

Wajeeh
Occasional Contributor

MSA P2000 G3 , right procedure to turn on

Dear All,

I am aware it is a silly question but just to be safe and sure before we do this. I need to know right procedure to turn on P2000 MSA G3, since we have a maitenance window, I read for shutting down is via GUI > Tools > shutdown /restart controller. 

But once task is done, what is the procedure to bring it online, I could not find any kind of power button on hardware rear side. Please advise

Waiting for quick response.

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
Cali
Honored Contributor

Hello,

you find the Information in:

HP StorageWorks P2000 G3 MSA System User Guide

NOTE: P2000 G3 controller enclosures and some P2000 G3 drive enclosures do not have power
switches. They power on when connected to a power source, and they power off when disconnected.

тАв Generally, when powering up, make sure to power up the enclosures and associated data host in the following order:
тАвDrive enclosures first
This ensures that disks in the drive enclosure have enough time to completely spin up before being scanned by the controller modules within the controller enclosure.
While enclosures power up, their LEDs blink. After the LEDs stop blinkingтАФ if no LEDs on the front and back of the enclosure are amber тАФ the power-on sequence is complete, and no faults have been detected.

See LED descriptionson page 61 for descriptions of LED behavior.
тАв Controller enclosure next
Depending upon the number and type of disks in the system, it may take several minutes for the system to become ready.
тАв Data host last (if powered down for maintenance purposes).

TIP: Generally, when powering off, you will reverse the order of steps used for powering on.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

AFAIR you can still connect to the MCs and do a restart command from CLI. The shutdown command stops the storage controller, but not the management controller.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
WajeehRahman
Occasional Advisor

Hello Torsten,

I did not get you. What I posted for shut down using GUI going to tools> shutdown controller and then unplug power cords from PSU 1 and PSU2, this is not the proper way to turn off? are you referring  to this in your reply ?

WajeehRahman
Occasional Advisor

Hello Cali,

When brining system on which PSU to connect cord first ? I mean how do I know which PSU is primary and which is secondary? Does this matter when powering up the MSA p2000 G3 ?

waiting for response.

Cali
Honored Contributor

Hi,

there is no Primary or Secondary, so it does not matter witch to plug in first.

Both providing the Power to all Parts.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.