MSA Storage
1753485 Members
4281 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA P2000 iSCSI volume is not initialized (not in the VMWare, not in Windows)

Grishko
Advisor

MSA P2000 iSCSI volume is not initialized (not in the VMWare, not in Windows)

Good day!

I have a MSA P2000 FC/iSCSI. 

I created a vdisk and volume and try to connect it to VMware ESXi. The ESXi host sees this volume But when I try to create a datastore on it, I get an error:

"Failed to create vmfs datastore - cannot change the host configuration."

I tried to do this operation with different vdisks and volumes, the result is the same - an error. 

Then I tried to add a volume on iSCSI in a machine with Windows. The volume appeared in Disk ManagementBut when I try to initialize it everything hangs and I get an input-output error.

22 REPLIES 22
Grishko
Advisor

Re: MSA P2000 iSCSI volume is not initialized (not in the VMWare, not in Windows)

I tried this solution (for VMware ESXi):

https://www.webbosworld.co.uk/?p=610

Call “HostDatastoreSystem.QueryVmfsDatastoreCreateOptions” for object “ha-datastoresystem” on ESXi “host ip” failed.

Turns out the HP controller hadn’t initialized the array or written any data to it, so it had some GPT type partitions which VMware couldn’t write to (from what I can understand anyway!). Fortunately we were able to use partedUtil to resolve this –

1. Within the vSphere client under Configuration – Security Profile start the ESXi Shell and SSH services
  2. Use a terminal program of your choice (e.g. Putty or XShell) and connect to the ESXi server
  3. Find the Disk ID for the array (cd /dev/disks then ls)
  4. Run the following command to partition them –partedUtil mklabel /dev/disks/diskid msdos
  5. All Done!

But this did not work (Connection timed out during write on the iSCSI disk):

Скриншот 2017-12-15 08.58.10.png

you haven't mentioned full details of the P2000 box like what firmware it's running with, if additional drive enclosure present, what type of drive installed and what type of firmware running on them.......if volume can be seen in host then generally it's not storage issue but still I would suggest if you can share the store.log file then may be I can check if any issue at the MSA or at the block level

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Grishko
Advisor

Just updated the firmware to the latest:

2017-12-15_16-19-58.png

But the problem is not solved:

2017-12-15_16-23-06.png

have you tried to create two separate vdisks given ownership to both controllers - may be to figure out if the issue related to any controller specific?

have you tried manually verify vdisk command to check if any block level issue?

Is it possible to share the MSA log file ?

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Grishko
Advisor

My disks:

2017-12-15_17-05-33.png

[Moderator edit: Erased the confidential info.]

it looks to me all are unsupported drives for P2000 except one as per the MSA drive matrix as below,

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00052032en_us

Only drive with model number EG0300FCSPH supported drive but firmware version old. Please find the link to get latest firmware ( I have shared both fla and exe file for your help) ,

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=null&swItemId=MTX_20191725476e453cbc7d2e3aca&swEnvOid=4184

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=null&swItemId=MTX_2d235f9f17f54553a800ecc416&swEnvOid=4184#

My suggestion would be start using HPE supported drives in order to avoid any issue further

[Moderator edit: Updated the broken link. You may also refer to https://support.hpe.com/]

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Grishko
Advisor

Thank you for your answer!

But the firmware update on the HP drive fails:

2017-12-15_18-55-59.png

Grishko
Advisor

2017-12-15_18-58-51.png

Grishko
Advisor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Setup Session Beginned on 15.12.2017 - 18:49:56 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Command Line Parameters Given: Controller IP is :10.0.20.71 Beginning Interactive Session... Name: Firmware Flash Component for Windows - HPE MSA 1040/2040 and P2000 G3 300GB, 450GB, 600GB and 900GB 6G SAS 10K rpm SFF Drive Models (EG0300FCSPH, EG0450FCSPK, EG0600FCSPL and EG0900FCSPN) New Version: HPD2 The software is installed but is not up to date. Current Version: HPD0 Device flash unsuccessful! - EG0300FCSPH : disk:1:8 Detailed log in :MSA2000_10_0_20_71.log The operation was not successful. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Session Ended on 15.12.2017 - 18:58:37 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------