3853 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA1000 ACU issues after firmware upgrade

Ted_Green
Occasional Contributor

MSA1000 ACU issues after firmware upgrade

Hi,

I recently installed an HP san kit using redundant MSA1000 controllers and there appears to be some problems.

Originally everything appeared to be working ok. On a windows 2003 machine I installed the qlogic drivers from an HP MSA1000 support CD as well as the latest copy of ACU (7.85.18.0) and then was able to configure the array.

However, the next week I received an Error message "Error Detected!" when attempting to use the utility. The message talked about incompatible hardware levels and the MSAs being in an active/active state.

In the process of trying to figure out what's going on I upgraded the MSA1000 firmware to 5.20 (as suggested) and continued to receive the problem.

I believe one of my MSA1000 is faulty as the LCD does not display for some messages and if I manually disable the other controller the ACU won't even see a controller. For now I've temporally disabled that controller, however I still am receiving an error using the ACU (albeit a different error).

"The current array controller can not be configured by this program. The controller did not respond to configuration commands.

Possible causes for this problem include:
A hardware failure occurred
Using an incompatible driver."

It goes on to say to try to upgrade my MSA firmware (already done) or to update my driver.

So with that said... is there a more up to date driver out there that supports the ACU? Or should I attempt to roll back my MSA firmware to the 4.x version? (This is a test lab and is just being set up so I'm not worried about wiping out any array configurations.)

Thanks for any info (and sorry for the long winded post).
3 REPLIES 3
James Muell
Valued Contributor

Re: MSA1000 ACU issues after firmware upgrade

As regards.." I received an Error message "Error Detected!" when attempting to use the utility. The message talked about incompatible hardware levels and the MSAs being in an active/active state."
-- This was a known error on some Firmware versions. The controllers are actually not in active-active mode. (going from act-pas to act-act is mainly a manual configuration process).

The unavailability of the ACU could likely be because the controller failed over, meaning you dont have an active path to the msa.
-- Did you check the readme file for the fx 5.20 to see that you are in compliance, i.e., hba drivers, multipath software version etc?
-- You could also, enable both controller, reboot the MSA, rebboot your host and try again.
-- Did you enable SSP for the luns you created for your host?

Ted_Green
Occasional Contributor

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply.

I went ahead and flashed the firmware back down to the 4.x version and it works fine now. (Haven't done an Xtransfer in years...)

I checked the readme and couldn't find anything that talked about HBA driver versions (it did address the need for MIPO 1.4 and Secure Path 4.0C SP 2-9) which I imagine is why it's not working with 5.2 firmware.

I'm going to wait until we replace the bad Controller (it's currently disabled and removed from the unit) before trying to upgrade to 5.2 again.

Cheers

James Muell
Valued Contributor

Ok.
Remember when you install the replacement controller that it may have newer firmware that what your running. Watch the LCD. If so, you will be prompted to update so read carefully.
Your right about the drivers not being listed i keep forgetting that they come from the MSA cd version.
good luck. jmm