1748223 Members
4703 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 FW 5.20 and HP MPIO Basic DSM v1.40

Jurgen Vliet

MSA1000 FW 5.20 and HP MPIO Basic DSM v1.40

Hello people,

Im currently running 4.48 firmware on an MSA1000 in a dual controller multipath setup.
I would like to update the controller to firmeware 5.20 but I read this in the 5.20 readme:
-------------------------------
Critical: FW 5.20 is currently NOT supported with Windows Clustering AND Multipath software (SecurePath or MPIO). New versions of MPIO and SecurePath are needed to work properly with the new MSA1500cs 5.20 firmware

The MSA 1000/1500cs FW 5.20 requires one of the following software updates for multi-controller Windows clustering:

HP Secure Path 4.0C Service Pack 2-9 for Windows

HP MPIO Basic DSM v1.40 fo MSA 1000/1500cs Active-Passive Disk Arrays

-------------------------------
I cannot find the HP MPIO Basic DSM v1.40 anywhere on the site.
The MSA gives some problems atm, so I really want this new firmeware, but will it still work without the HP MPIO Basic DSM v1.40 ?

Any help appriciated
12 REPLIES 12
James Muell
Valued Contributor

You can update the fw to version 5.10 which is cluster certified using SP.40c sp2-1, then if and when 5.20 is cluster cert'd and mpio v 1.40 is released you could upgrade again. I believe fw 6.86 is cluster certified. Check that out.
Matt Teichrob
Occasional Advisor

Jurgen,

I am in the same position as you. Have you been able to locate the MPIO DSM v1.40? I cannot find in anywhere on HP's website.

Regards,
Matt
Jurgen Vliet

Hi Matt,

No I didnt find it, it seems its not released at all yet.
Strange that they release a firmware that doesnt work without the new v1.40 and dont release the v1.40 though.
Matt Teichrob
Occasional Advisor

Jurgen,

I just contacted HP and they told us it's ok to upgrade to firmware 5.20 and use MPIO DSM Basic v1.30.

I am going to try the upgrade today - I'll let you know how it goes.

Matt
Matt Teichrob
Occasional Advisor

Jurgen,

I updated firmware to 5.20 yesterday and ran into all kinds of problems. I had to recreate the Array's and lost all data on the SAN. Thankfully this unit is not in production yet.

After this everything appears to be working well, though I haven't tested MPIO yet...

Matt
BR815824

I've just upgraded my F/W to v5.20 while using MPIO 1.30 and it all appears to be OK. The MSA1000 now shows Reduntant controller Active on both controllers though. One of them should show as Standby. I need to test this with cluster now, will post back later.
Jurgen Vliet

The cluster I have running is currently in a production enviroment.
I cannot take any risk with loosing data on the SAN or recreate the logical drives etc.

I will keep following this thread to see if people succeed.

Thank you for all the replies.
James Muell
Valued Contributor

I haven't fully tested the Act-Act firmware but whether or not the controller say they are active or standby, Actual use of that capability is via the manual operation of assigning luns to a specific controller using either the CLI or MPIO (from what I've read - by right clicking and making the controller assignment.
BR815824

I've just tried this out, and it caused quite a few problems working with the cluster.
It all setup OK and normal access and failover of the cluster was fine.
But it did not like it when I tried pulling out fibre cables hoping that MPIO would sort out the new path.
It kept losing connection to volumes, ie: some volumes I had setup on the same MSA1000 would still be accessible and others wouldn't this was intermitant, and caused delayed write errors. The cluster service keeps stopping.

This doe's appear to be cluster specific? As I have not had the problem prior to setting up the cluster. So I would advise not using F/W 5.20 with MPIO 1.30 in a cluster config.

Doe's anybody know when MPIO 1.40 is going to be released?

I will try downgrading back to 4.88 and try it out again. I should point out that this is a new configuration that I am setting up that has not yet been defined, so I am currently investigating the best way to set this up.