MSA Storage
1753951 Members
7923 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA1000 Failed Redundancy Path Error

Tundro

MSA1000 Failed Redundancy Path Error

I have two errors listed on an MSA1000 that I need help with. Under Status Messages, error 1 is "MSA1000 in XXXXXXXXXX has a failed redundancy path.". Error 2 is "776 (Ready for Recovery) Logical Drive 4".

In an attempt to resolve the 776 error, I completely powered down all servers that are attached to the SAN, powered down the MSA1000 and finally powered down the additional MSA30. I let the MSA1000/MSA30 sit for about 10 minutes after powering down the servers to make sure all cache information had been flushed. I reseated all drives and cables. Next, I powered up the MSA30 and then the MSA1000 and waited for 10 minutes to make sure all of the drives initialized and that the controllers were completely up. Next, I powered up one server and verified that all of the arrays were operational and that the array that needed rebuilding had indeed started the rebuild process. I next powered up the remaining three servers. After about six hours of rebuilding, the array is now back in the "Ready for Recovery" status and no drives are showing failed in either the MSA1000 or the MSA30. I have not done a visual inspection, but when I looked previous after this issue arose, I would find that drive 13 was offline. I have replaced this drive three times....

I "inherited" support of this MSA1000, so I was not fully aware of the hardware configuration until I began this process. Since the second controller does not have a 2/8 switch, should the controller be disabled or removed? Could it cause problems with array rebuilds?

Any ideas as to what my next steps should be with regards to the array that needs rebuilding? I have a case open with HP, the tech gave me the above shutdown/reseat steps above, but I wanted some input from those "in the field" who may have run into this issue. Could old firmware on the MSA1000 cause the rebuild issue?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
3 REPLIES 3
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

you don't mention what FW version your running. So I would reccomend going to the lastest. 5.30 for A/P and 7.10 for AA. also you can upgrade the FW on all the disks too. then see what happens
Tundro

MartinS: Please pardon my lack of information. The MSA1000 is running in Active/Passive mode and is at firmware version 4.48. Thanks for your reply.
Patti Nevin
Occasional Visitor

We are having a similar issue with an array rebuild.  Can you tell me what the resolution to your issue was?