108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 SB - Move RAID HDs from DL380 not seen as array

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Cambra

MSA1000 SB - Move RAID HDs from DL380 not seen as array

Hi,

I'm new to the MSA1000 so please overlook my lack of knowledge with this unit.

I have a MSA1000 SB (nothing fancy, no HA kit yet). I've installed six (6) new 300GB drives and can configure them without an issue and present them to a server(s).

From my understanding, the MSA1000 SB is supposed to allow drives, which are configured as a RAID Array on a supported HP RAID controller, to simply be inserted into the MSA1000 and the unit will pickup the array info from those moved drives and all data will be intact.

I have three (3) 300GB drives in a RAID-5 on a DL380 G4 using the onboard RAID controller which I'm trying to move to the MSA1000. However, the MSA1000 does not detect the array configuration of those three drives. It "sees" the drives, but only as available free space drive.

I have attempted to search HP's website for documentation on this process, only to come up empty handed.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Mike
6 REPLIES 6
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Did you plug in all disk drives while the MSA1000 was powered off?
Michael Cambra

No, the MSA was on and then performed a refresh on the unit on via the SANSurfer software. Both the ACU and SANSurfer saw the disks, but not as an array.

Should I try it with the SAN powered down?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

The DtS (DAS to SAN) migration requires that the MSA is turned off and that ALL required disk drives be moved. Hopefully the MSA has not written anything on the disks, yet. I hope you did take a backup before trying?
Michael Cambra

Ok. I will try that. Thank you. And to answer your question, no the MSA did not write any data to the disks as I reinstalled them back into the DL380 and sucessfully booted to them and verified all data was intact.

I appreaciate your help!

Regards,
Mike
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> the MSA did not write any data to the disks

That is good to hear. The SmartArray controllers sometimes seem a bit too 'smart' for me and do thing I don't expect from them ;-)

Oh, one thing: It's been some time that I check it, but I remember a warning that a disk drive array could not be moved back to a server once it was recognized by an MSA.
Michael Cambra

Oh... I'm glad you stated that. I'll verify a full backup prior to moving the disks.

Thanks again!!!!