MSA Storage
1753797 Members
7588 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 & Windows 2003 Enterprise

CA1298860

MSA1000 & Windows 2003 Enterprise

I have two DL380G3 with HBA 2340(2214) and 2003 Enterprise. Any server can create/delete partition and format logical drives on MSA1000, but another server can`t see the work of it`s partner. As a result it sees logical disks partitioned, but not formated at all. attempt to format it return error "format unsuccessful". But I can delete partition and create and format it. So anothe server can`t see it. And so on.
8 REPLIES 8
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

That is to be expected behaviour!!

A simple Windows system does not have the ability to concurrently share NTFS volumes with another one. You can consider yourself lucky that you have found it out early on.

You need to buy additional software like Polyserve or Veritas Cluster.
CA1064576
Valued Contributor

Alexander:

This result is normal, if you have Windows 2003 enterprise, you can try the Cluster services from Microsoft and use the wizard, declare the storage on the MSA100 like shared and only the storage declared like shared can be shared on both servers at the same time.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Since when does Windows implement a shared file system?
CA1298860

Thanks to all for the fast replay. But a try to describe slightly different situation. Step one: Connecting MSA1000 to DL380. Configure storage volumes and writing data to it. Disconnect server.
Step two: Connecting MSA1000 to another DL380. No data. All the volumes are not formated. Then recreate partitions format volumes write data. Disconnect server.
Step three: Connecting MSA100 to the first server. No data. All the volumes are not formated. Trouble?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I'm not a Windows administrator, but I thought that Windows 2003 EE does not automatically mount 'new' volumes (it has never seem before). Enter:

> mountvol /E

and retry.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Can you post screenshots of what you see in Disk Management?
After step one, you just say "Disconnect server". Does that mean you shutdown the OS properly? And how are you connecting the servers to the MSA1000 - do you have a SAN Switch?

Regards,
Stephen
CA1298860

Thanks for all. And special gratefulness to Uwe Zessin. Windows 2003 EE realy automatically mount 'new' volumes only on shared SCSI bus (MSA500), but not on fiber channel via HBA connection (MSA1000). Simply
assigned a letter to 'unformated' drive and all the data became visible. My apolgize for the greener question.
carl rafferty

hi, i am interested in your solution.
i have been doing the same sort of thing as your original post.
just received the msa1000 and have some vague idea of how it should work, in this fail over mode.
please could you explain your solution in more detail, i think it would help me a great deal.
regards

carl