MSA Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSA1000 & two cluster w2003/SGLinux

MSA1000 & two cluster w2003/SGLinux

Hi all,
I have a MSA100 & one built-in 8 port SAN switch behind tow nodes on cluster W2003 with one single-port per node. I need a second disk array by a HP Serviceguard/linux cluster. ¿Is possible to use my MSA1000 to connect this linux cluster maintain de first 2003 cluster simultaneously?

Thanks a lot.
3 REPLIES 3

Re: MSA1000 & two cluster w2003/SGLinux

Hi,

Yes you can use the existing switch, just enable zoning in the switch configuration. Create 1 zone for the Windows cluster with the 2 nodes and the MSA1000, then a second one with the Linux cluster. The best is to zone by WWN not by port.

Jose
James Muell
Valued Contributor

You do realize that a Linux cluster and a windows cluster is not supported by HP - see HP's cluster compatability matrix -- on the same MSA, let alone with only one switch. Controller failover will inevitably cause failure in both, not to mention the possibility of corrupting your data.

Sorry to differ James, please check the SAN Design Guide page 159, table 93. Now what may cause data corruption is when you present Linux Luns to a Windows server/cluster, or Windows Luns to a Linux server (I'm attaching the link below); that is why zoning and selective storage presentantion (SSP) are required. Remember that to have a redundant MSA1000 you'll need a 2nd controller and 2/8 switch, multipathing is software is required too, if you have multiple paths.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00403562/c00403562.pdf

Jose